Silly Question

Reaction score
Do local animals drink from the pond? Deer, squirrel etc? with 3 waterfalls i wast sure if they would not like the sound
only thinking about this due to heat as i am not sure if i put out water in a tub in this heat if they will drink from it?

Reaction score
I can't speak to wild animals, but my pets drink from my ponds exclusively. They have an automatic watering bowl that they never go near, it could be the middle of a rainstorm, and they are floating in the middle of the kid's swimming pool, if they get thirsty they will jump out and run to one of the fish ponds and drink it. There must be something about the algae that tastes good to cats and dogs.

This probably transfers over to wild animals, but I have never seen one because of the big dogs in my backyard all of the time.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I have a fence around my pond now, but before I did, I saw lots of birds, cats, dogs, raccoons, one day had two ducks stop by, Never saw deer in my backyard though, have seen them in the field right across the street, but never in my yard.

Reaction score
i have had as many as 11 deer in my front yard just hanging around licked the dew.. (i have 2 acres to mow) back yard is fenced but those buggers can still jump it.. so far they have left my garden alone.. other than maybe a few nibbles on the tomatoes...
well i think i may put out a big tub o water anyway.. the pond is fenced..

Reaction score
Wait, a fence stops birds from visiting your pond? Is this a 22' tall electrified chain link with razorwire? Why don't you have birds? I have so many birds in and around my pond sometimes it seems like I'm keeping them instead of fish.

Wow, can't believe I forgot about this story, but the other day I was leaning on the railing of the deck watching the fish, and a little brown finch or something landed on my freaking arm. It sat there for a split second, then I jumped backwards completely startled, and then he flew off. I don't know what that was all about, bizarre.

Reaction score
Oh, ok, your post sounded like your picket fence repelled birds or something. Ok, that makes sense now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Deer, raccoon, squirrels, birds, red fox , ground hogs, land turtle, all spotted drinking out of the pond. They all visit quite often

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
same here, lots of bird droppings. I actually found goose droppings the other day though, I was kind of happy about that one, wish I'd seen one.

Reaction score
Wow, geese in your backyard. That's rough, we have them at work, they make an enormous mess. You can barely see your grass, it's all covered in poo. I would cross my fingers and hope they never come back.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do local animals drink from the pond? Deer, squirrel etc? with 3 waterfalls i wast sure if they would not like the sound
only thinking about this due to heat as i am not sure if i put out water in a tub in this heat if they will drink from it?

Birds, squirrels, raccoon's, and dogs have all been seen drinking from my pond.

Ask a Question