Silt that will not settle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
Hi, started experimenting with tub ponds (about 600 gal total) a year to the date, no major disasters just a learning curve as to be expected. I would appreciate some advice on one issue that is bugging me: the water is a bit too murky for my liking. I understand crystal clear does not relate to water quality, the 15 or so Shubunkin/Sarasa/Canaries have been in a year and growing well, NO3 is <10, pH 7.5 and TDS is 135 ppm. There was a bit of blossoming of green free floating algae as the weather turned sunny (being Italy), swiftly addressed by the 36w UV, but once the green had gone I was left with water that could have come straight out of the muddiest part of the Limpopo river.
The tubs are in a chain, overflowing one into the next, with a pump (Sunsun CTP2800) taking the water from the bottom of the deepest tub back to the top (DIY sieve filter with 200 micron steel mesh). We are out in the country and the wind can whip up a lot of dust from the (clay rich) fields. Some of it settles on the bottom but not all. I rigged up some additional mechanical filtration (canister filter packed just with filter floss) and I have rinsed it out daily for 3 times already, photo shows rinse water in the blue bowl. Any advice on how I can clear these pesky suspended particles? Or should I just empty the tubs, clean them out and fill them up with clean water?
Would really appreciate the advice as I am planning on getting smaller fish for the 3 small tubs (respectively rainbow shiners, ricefish and Aphanius) and I would like to see them occasionally. Ciao

Attachments

• rps20180601_165720_990.jpg
    rps20180601_165720_990.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 200
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I would recommend buying a pre filter for your pump. Like this one. th_pm2000a.jpg
You could do a partial water change as well. I would not just empty all of the water out as this would be a big shock to your fish and your ponds. You could end up doing more harm that good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
Thanks, suppose the prefilter is packed with sponge/floss so it does the same job as the canister I added so I may give it a few more days to see how it works. As for big water changes I agree they can cause a shock, particularly if the parameters are significantly different. Having said this as far as I can test the water is still pretty similar to my tapwater for pH, KH and GH (and I am used to doing daily 90%water changes in my discus tank) so at a push I could empty the tubs, put the goldfish in a tank for a day while I refill, condition and age the new water in the tubs.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you tried filtering the water through something like polyester quilt batting? This would have to be monitored and changed frequently, but is wonderful for filtering out “fines.” I wouldn’t necessarily say to put it in-line with your regular filtration (just because it will clog easily and quickly), but I think @sissy does something where she T’s the water line and has a special bucket for just this purpose (sorry, Sissy, if I don’t have the details down).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Personally I would do several small 25% water changes. Once a day until the water clears.

As I said this is better for the fish and the pond. Moving fish stresses them out which makes them susceptible to disease. Completely emptying you ponds can cause beneficial bacteria and algae to die and cause an imbalance in the system.

Ultimately your call.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Personally I would do several small 25% water changes. Once a day until the water clears.

As I said this is better for the fish and the pond. Moving fish stresses them out which makes them susceptible to disease. Completely emptying you ponds can cause beneficial bacteria and algae to die and cause an imbalance in the system.

Ultimately your call.
Panzer, it sounds like the “fines debris” is an ongoing issue due to local soil and wind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
Thank you for the advice, I am actually doing something similar to what suggested. I have T'd the pipe from the pump and part of the flow goes to that canister you can see in the video perched between the tubs, it is packed with perlon floss (basically fancy aquarium safe batting) that I have been rinsing out daily for the last 3 days. The pond is actually getting at least 60 gal "almost clean" water every night. Every day I age the water for my discus, every evening 60 gal of water comes out of their tank (still so pure you could drink it -literally- but that is discus for you!) and flows down to the tubs. Probably this is why the parameters have remained similar to my tapwater! If necessary I can look after the nitrifying bacteria in the biomedia as I would when doing filter maintenance for my 11 indoor tanks but at the end of the day I can live with the water being a little murky in the tubs, just not used to it because I like my tanks crystal clear. Will keep updating with developments and thanks again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
True.
So to truly address the issue building some sort of barrier around the ponds would be in order as well.
Thanks, actually thinking of that but it would have to be pretty solid as the wind can get really strong, at times I wonder how we still have a roof! Enclosing the ponds in a "bubble" would be unfeasible for the same reason and also here in summer it does get pretty hot a we are in the Med. Anyway glad I decided to go for this small scale trial with tubs, I do have a 24'x15' slab on which I was thinking of building a Koi pool. At least I can try and figure things out on a more manageable size

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
Glad to help, welcome o the forum.:)
Cheers, I joined a year ago as I strayed from the comfort of my indoor tanks to venture into the great outdoors (or at least dig a few holes in the orchard). A least I can get clear water in a much bigger pond (the Adriatic sea) close-by

Attachments

• rps20180601_194230.jpg
    rps20180601_194230.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 201
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I love Italy. Have family over there in Vicenza. I don't get over there to visit as much as I wish I could. Good luck with your pond pizano.

Ask a Question