Silt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I was hoping that there would be no action required but now I am thinking there might be. I have a lined 16,000 to 19,000 gallon pond that came with the house I bought less than a year ago. I have two waterfalls and two skimmers...
My problem is silt. It covers everything and when a fish or frog swims close by it causes a cloud that eventually settles. Anything below the water line is covered. My concern is whether or not the algae can grow through this? I am on a well and cannot do a significant water change. All of my test results show excellent water quality. The pond is 30 years old. I have about forty goldfish and koi/goldfish hybrids and two 12 " koi in there. We have had flooding recently and water from the mountain springs eventually went into the pond. I can see that this must occasionally happen and cannot figure out any other way for this silt to enter the pond. It is VERY fine. The previous owner said it won't hurt anything but I would like to hear your thoughts. I have planted about twelve lilies and have just bought water hyacinth and water lettuce which is waiting for temps to warm (cold at night here in Charlottesville, VA)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is a clay pond and that happens in them and not sure there is any way to solve it .You can maybe add rocks to the edge all the way around the pond to keep the clay in it's place

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you Sissy...That explains it (soil is all clay here)....I guess if it has not caused a problem in thirty years it won't now...I just feel sorry for the fish because all of the rocks and plants underwater are covered in it.
I have rocks lining the sides and top edge....

Attachments

• P1000283.JPG
    P1000283.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 85

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You could always try the tried and true quilt batting technique for catching fines. It probably won’t completely solve the problem, but it’s a start.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
clay is great for holding water and even good for fish health but not good for us to see our fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
clay is great for holding water and even good for fish health but not good for us to see our fish
I am so jealous of the pics of member's ponds that are crystal clear but at least when the winds die down and the rains dissipate mine clears up so that I can see what's on the bottom:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I add koi clay to my pond as a buffer so you are the lucky one because you have it for free and poor me has to pay for it .It is healthy for fish digestion also

Ask a Question