silt

Reaction score
Hi,just moved into a new house and inherited a garden pond approx 2metres square,with fountain and waterfall,my problem is it is silted up,how do I clear this without emptying pond,there are 7 fish in total a mixture of shubunkins and orfe,any advice would be welcome,thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and quilt batting in a crate with the pond water running into it will work .I have in my stock tank right now but i also put it in the top of my DIY filters i made

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
[sup]I believe you mean a bunch of silt at the bottom? A pond vac will work, or some people use a shop vac. I've never had great luck using my shop vac, i usually try to net the big stuff out... which in turn stirs everything up, and then do what sissy says and put some very fine media in my filter to filter everything i have just stirred up. [/sup]

Reaction score
Depends on the size of a pond. A small minnow net from the pet store can be used to scoop it out of small ponds. Leaf rake can be used to scoop it out in larger ponds. In large ponds vacuuming works well if you pick the right vacuum.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome35.gif
copey001
Net it out and use the batting in a basket to get the rest.

Ask a Question