Simple Bog?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm making bogs for both my ponds that do not involve PVC manifold pipes, just the outlet tube from my submersible pump shoved deep under the gravel. The water is super clear so far, and there must be some benefit from biological filtration, right? Has anyone else done a bog like this?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
You'll get some benefit as the water flows up, some is better than none. How large are your bogs?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Guess we'll get an answer if tulas broken pipe was the issue for the cyanide

Reaction score
Country
United States
Both bogs are about 10% of the volume of the ponds. i'm looking at building PVC manifolds now and am wondering whether folks use glue or not?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Both bogs are about 10% of the volume of the ponds. i'm looking at building PVC manifolds now and am wondering whether folks use glue or not?
You absolutely need to glue the pvc. You can hand fit pvc for something like a gravity drain if you don't mind it leaking a bit, but with a pump involved it will push against the fittings and cause them to come apart so it needs to be glued.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You can use a barb fitting like what you linked, but it all depends on your pump outlet and what hose you are using.
Most pumps have a female thread where you can screw in a barb fitting that has male threads. You showed a barb fitting with the other end not a male thread, but slip. (for glue) You can use that if it works with your pump, but as I said, most pumps have female threads where you can screw in a barb fitting.
Hope this makes sense.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh, @exeter mentioned rubber sleeve with hose clamps. Those are called Fernco couplings. I use one for the transition between flexible PVC and ridgid PVC for easy disconnect, if needed. It's been running for over 2 years and I never had a problem with it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use Fernco couplings on my 2 inch pvc pipes, exterior pump, makes it easy to remove and store for the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The leaking is not the issue in the bog but the pipes staying together for what ever reason is . It's so easy to prime and glue its crazy not to

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The recommended is 16 of the ponds surface unless you have a large volume in deep . Or 20 to 30 for swim ponds

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The recommended is 15% of the ponds surface unless you have a large volume in deep . Or 20 % to 30% for swim ponds

Ask a Question