Simple pump required - confused and need help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I hope that someone can help with this as I am going around in circles!

We have a very small pond in our garden without fish and would like to get a pump/small fountain that includes a filter too (does not need to be UV). We had originally gone for a Blagdon 3000 which seemed great, but the trouble is that we only have 1 outside plug installed.

We are not going to add any other sockets to the outside setup and therefore want a pump/filter that only requires 1 plug socket. Does such a thing exist??

I have bought a Hozelock Aquaforce 1500 but I appear to have bought the wrong thing as this is a waterfall pump that normally connects to an external filter.

I feel like this is a simple thing but no amount of googling has helped!

So, can anyone recommend a 1 socket pump with included filter?

Thanks so much in advance!

James

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello,

I hope that someone can help with this as I am going around in circles!

We have a very small pond in our garden without fish and would like to get a pump/small fountain that includes a filter too (does not need to be UV). We had originally gone for a Blagdon 3000 which seemed great, but the trouble is that we only have 1 outside plug installed.

We are not going to add any other sockets to the outside setup and therefore want a pump/filter that only requires 1 plug socket. Does such a thing exist??

I have bought a Hozelock Aquaforce 1500 but I appear to have bought the wrong thing as this is a waterfall pump that normally connects to an external filter.

I feel like this is a simple thing but no amount of googling has helped!

So, can anyone recommend a 1 socket pump with included filter?

Thanks so much in advance!

James
you don't need UV or a filter with a fishless/animalless pond, so any pump of desired size will do. They only have one plug. You don't even need a pump for this type pond but moving the water will keep mosquitoes from breeding in it.

smt2b.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Welcome in da club and like Brokensword, aka my master, said any kind of pump with a piece of hose can be right for you. And if is fishless pond, a filter can be just useless...
Just place some rocks, hide in a hose and add pump, little fontain/waterfall made. ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! How “very small” is your pond? Your pump may not have to be that big, and agree with others that a filter may not be necessary. Why not post some pics of your pond for a reference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
1 outlet outdoors does not mean you can only have one device. Why not just buy an outdoor power strip? They make them with rain tight covers.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!
I have used a outdoor power strip, works just fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agree with what has been said. You shouldn't need a filter. You should only need a small pump to keep the surface agitated to prevent mosquito larvae from surviving.

Plus, if you don't have plants or anything else living in there, you can use chlorine to keep it clean.

Just wondering... do you really have an electrical outlet with only one place to plug in? That's unusual. Most are duplex receptacles. They do make single receptacles, so it's possible, but duplex are way more common.

That being said, I'm suspicious that you may be using an extension cord since there's only one place to plug in. Using an extension cord outside is not the best practice.

The other concern is that hopefully you are plugged into a GFCI.

Please be careful with electricity around the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I'm kinda disappointed the OP hasn't yet got back to the forum, because I'm interested in the question of external power supply.
In mitigation let me say that here, in the UK, we are worked to death:( and maybe they've not had time to reply, OR haven't enabled notifications. My humble abode has no external socket, and I couldn't really afford an electrician to put one in. My solution was to drill a hole through the house wall and feed the pump cable through to a socket with RCD. Works a treat, but could do with the option of more electrical devices (like a full-time bubbler) maybe. Where there's a will there's a way... :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I'm kinda disappointed the OP hasn't yet got back to the forum, because I'm interested in the question of external power supply.
In mitigation let me say that here, in the UK, we are worked to death:( and maybe they've not had time to reply, OR haven't enabled notifications. My humble abode has no external socket, and I couldn't really afford an electrician to put one in. My solution was to drill a hole through the house wall and feed the pump cable through to a socket with RCD. Works a treat, but could do with the option of more electrical devices (like a full-time bubbler) maybe. Where there's a will there's a way... :)
What are the rules in the UK about DIY electrical. Installing an electrical outlet on an existing circuit (or even a new one) requires very little special knowledge and is quite easy. It seems most Commonwealth States expressly forbid it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well, could be worse; we're paying peeps to NOT work and yet, still have YOUR problem in affording skilled contracters to do anything as inflation has a firm hold that's tightening now...sad, but I'd rather live where people are worked (to death) than in Lazy-ass-faire world.

Okay, don't scold, momma addy; I stopped! Just to add something useful, like CW says, not a lot of skill demanded to swap out a single port outlet for a duo one.

smt1.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
we're paying peeps to NOT work
Where is that still happening?

still have YOUR problem in affording skilled contracters to do anything
That has been a problem since the 90s and through basically every economic cycle. The problem is that most construction trades still pay poorly despite their product being ridiculously expensive, and almost anyone smart enough to do a skilled trade is also smart enough to do something less physically taxing that pays as well or better. So anyone who can make a choice is choosing "not construction."

Ridiculous amounts of money flowing in the construction world, but still not much of it making its way down to the tradespeople. Not so different from most other industries, I guess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Where is that still happening?

That has been a problem since the 90s and through basically every economic cycle. The problem is that most construction trades still pay poorly despite their product being ridiculously expensive, and almost anyone smart enough to do a skilled trade is also smart enough to do something less physically taxing that pays as well or better. So anyone who can make a choice is choosing "not construction."

Ridiculous amounts of money flowing in the construction world, but still not much of it making its way down to the tradespeople. Not so different from most other industries, I guess.
we still have lots of restaraunts and convenience stores with either limited hours or long lines, sometimes lines outside to just get in because there's not enough coverage. If they're not getting money from somewhere, how are those missing workers able to survive? So yeah, still feeling it.

And I paid a well guy $500 for 2 hours of work in replacing my pump (voltage surge got a perfectly NEW 7 month pump!), so can't tell me at least SOME trades aren't getting paid decently if not handsomely. Got estimates for a backup whole house generator; $12k and I know the unit costs about 4.1K; you can't convince me the extra pipe+wire costs that much, so I figure $8k for a couple days work. You saying those installing are getting paid McDonald's money now and the heating n cooling co is taking in the bulk of 8K labor? I take my car into the shop and it's $90/hr for labor. I find out the same parts he put in cost less than half what I could pay on RockAuto.com, so you're going to have to go further to convince me it's all going into the 'man's' pocket and not to some of these skilled trades. Not that I don't think THEY too are taking advantage, I'm sure they are. I've come to see I have to just try and stay ahead, cut costs for unnecessary stuff, learn how to do more on my own, and hopefully not stress out about all this.

Heh, was having this convo with the wife the other day about how she SHOULD be asking for at least COLA for next year's salary and thinking it might STILL be a fight just for that. When COLA is at 6% and my wife's company doubles the workload (she's an educational coordinator for real estate and they went from JUST in-house classes to now include virtual classes AT THE SAME TIME, both of which she has to arrange AND monitor, in real time. I told her she should definitely get a raise commensurate with doing double work, but you think this is going to happen? Guess I just threw some wood on YOUR fire's argument in that Big Business is getting it all and trades are not, hey?

Okay, back to ponding!
smt1.gif

Ask a Question