Situating pond hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I'm about to enlarge an existing semi-raised pond, which will remain semi-raised. Rather than have all the pipework in the pond itself, is there any reason why it shouldn't be clipped to the outside of the pond at the back where it won't be seen, then returned to the pond at the appropriate place (ie - waterfall). Many thanks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No reason it can't be done like that with the right type of hose .Lots on here run the hoses on the outside of the pond .I prefer inside if it leaks it is inside the pond .I have my hoses strapped to the inside edge of my pond .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I'm about to enlarge an existing semi-raised pond, which will remain semi-raised. Rather than have all the pipework in the pond itself, is there any reason why it shouldn't be clipped to the outside of the pond at the back where it won't be seen, then returned to the pond at the appropriate place (ie - waterfall). Many thanks.
No reason it can't be done like that with the right type of hose .Lots on here run the hoses on the outside of the pond .I prefer inside if it leaks it is inside the pond .I have my hoses strapped to the inside edge of my pond .
Thanks ever so much - I thought it should be OK, but it's best to check. It's a good point about leaking - I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll re-think the plan after all ....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used really long zip ties to hook mine to the side of the pond .My neighbor did the same but she used heavier rocks to weigh down the zip ties .Coated wire works also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
As long as you don't have freezing issues, it should be fine. The UK is pretty diverse temperature wise, I've heard of polar bears vacationing on a Scottish beaches a few years ago.
Another point is if you take you pipes through the side, its easier to set up an airlift instead of a pump. Airlifts use much less energy than a pump would which is concern in the UK that we Yanks under-estimate.

Ask a Question