Sizing Up - Already!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
So, i have my 32(ish) gallon stock tank pond that is installed right into the ground. I love it. It's already got submerged and floating plants as well as two fantail goldfish.

Looking at it, i wish i went bigger, but i can't really go "deeper" upon speaking about it with my landlords, so i'm considering building UP around it (they said that would be fine if i could "make sure it's do-able"). I've seen several raised ponds and was thinking i could try to build up around the stock tank already in the ground - i would surround it with wood or stone, level the inside with dirt/sand to be even with the container, and then drape a liner in it and fill it back up.

I have a couple of questions, though.

1) Is this possible, is this a good idea?

2) Is it easier/cheaper to: build a retaining wall, use landscaping timber, or use a pre-made raised garden bed? Depending on which, how would i secure the liner in/to it?

3) Would it be possible to "winter" the fish in it? How deep does it have to be to do this? Can you even do that with fantail goldfish, or is it only Koi? What about the plants?

4) Would i have to put something under the liner (pre-liner) to protect it?

I would like to avoid removing the stock tank entirely but if it's recommended then i guess i could. I'm not a fan of plain square (i really like how the round looks in that space) but i'm more of a fan of cheap and easy (though i don't mind putting some effort into it of course!)

Input would be great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi TK9NY. Welcome to the forum. I can try to answer a few of your questions. Yes you can build up the sides and put a new liner in. I would have the liner stretch out 18-24 inches and bury it in the ground. You can put pea gravel to keep it from lifting up and then mulch or dirt. I have succulent plants planted over my liner. I think you can raise up the sides with whatever is convenient and stable. Obviously a retaining wall is the most stable but if you are not intending it to be permanent you can use timbers, etc. Re fish. Fantails do not winter as well as comets and shubunkins. You did not mention your temperate zone so It's hard to tell. In the Chicago area I have my pond at 4 ft below grade and it winters fine. I think with some of yours is raised above ground you might need a heater if you have similar temperatures. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Now i'm debating just digging a bigger one - i don't like the wood as much, i don't like that i can't shape it! A square wouldn't look nice in that spot (my inner landscape designer is showing, lol.) And a retaining wall looks like too much work/expense. I think if i pull out the tub and deepen that pit another foot or so, and then dig out around that to make a shelf surrounding the pit, i can just throw a liner in and secure it with the big stones i already have - and the rest of the liner that sticks out will be covered by the stone i'm putting in that area.

For under the liner, what should i use? I see some people use newspaper, sand, carpet, carpet padding.... would a u-haul blanket work on top of sand? I have one of those i can use, and a bag of sand.... And how much do i have to stamp down the dirt? What is the risk of the shelf sliding/breaking under the liner? Yes, i'm paranoid, this is my first pond project besides plopping the pre-formed in the hole lol.

What is the best (longest lasting) liner?

I won't be able to start until next week - which is a bummer. But oh well. I can use the week to plan it out. And i live in NY (upstate).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think the standard is 45 mil pond liner. There are lots of places on the internet to order it. The only problem with adding a new liner in the summer is it can take a while for it to get coated with algae and all the good bacteria that helps covert waste to less harmful components. Be sure to keep your pump and filter going when you do the work otherwise the beneficial bacteria in your bio-filter will die off. Most people use old carpet for an underlayment but any type of padding that won't easily decompose is fine. I have never used one and have not had a problem, but I guess a sharp rock or root could damage it and that is why it is done. I have my own trick for installing liner. I like it to stretch it out twice as far as normal on the edges so it extends 3 ft or more from the edge. This way if I ever want to enlarge my pond later after I realize I did not not make it as big as I wanted/needed I just dig under the edges of the pond a little and use the excess liner to enlarge the pond. Good luck!

Ask a Question