Skimmer and water polisher???

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Border of 6a & 6b
Country
United States
Is there a difference between a water polisher and a skimmer?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Border of 6a & 6b
Country
United States
But if you put filter floss in a skimmer, it then does both correct? Like a pop bottle skimmer.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sorry, but no. A planted 'Bog' or Phytofilter are example of water polishing for not only
is very fine to micro organic particles filtered out, but also Nitrate, Phosphorus, Heavy Metals, VOCs, phenols, etc. by the resident plants. The water is polished both mechanically to a point and biologically. A 'polisher' used in tandem with a skimmer will afford quite excellent water clarity and quality.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Border of 6a & 6b
Country
United States
Sorry, but no. A planted 'Bog' or Phytofilter are example of water polishing for not only
is very fine to micro organic particles filtered out, but also Nitrate, Phosphorus, Heavy Metals, VOCs, phenols, etc. by the resident plants. The water is polished both mechanically to a point and biologically. A 'polisher' used in tandem with a skimmer will afford quite excellent water clarity and quality.
Ok. Thanks. I haven't been able to get a good clear answer from anywhere else.

Reaction score
Not sure if it answers your question, but i had an indoor pond that was staying cloudy. I used a aquarium power head, a quart plastic bottle, drill some holes, added some floss and put in the pond. It helped tremendously.
Do a youtube search for "King of DIY", Joey Mullen, he shows how to make both a polisher and a protein skimmer on the cheap

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Border of 6a & 6b
Country
United States
Not sure if it answers your question, but i had an indoor pond that was staying cloudy. I used a aquarium power head, a quart plastic bottle, drill some holes, added some floss and put in the pond. It helped tremendously.
Do a youtube search for "King of DIY", Joey Mullen, he shows how to make both a polisher and a protein skimmer on the cheap
I follow Joey and have already bought his book. I just wasn't sure if there was a difference between the two.

Ask a Question