Skimmer & Bottom Drain

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Edit: I'm sure this has been posted somewhere else on here so if someone could even just direct me to that discussion it would be greatly appreciated.

Totally new here but I've been looking at building a pond.
I was wondering if there is some way to have a skimmer feed into the same pipe as a bottom drain before it hits the filter and pump. I've also looked around online a bit but can't seem to find an answer to: where does all this debris go? Assuming that the drain and skimmer could be collecting leaves and a fair amount of pond scum over time would it not clog up the filter and/or pump fairly quickly and require frequent cleaning? Especially with leaves.
Thanks in advance :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! I only use a skimmer, mine has a leaf basket, before the pump, that gathers the junk. Those with bottom drains will chime in as they see your post.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome. I watched a video of a build with BD and skimmer. BD and skimmer into manifold into separation tanks into bio filter then returned to the pond. Trying to find it on YouTube but not having much luck.

I am building a pond with neither but here is the link:

Edit: how I described it is inaccurate. There is a settlement tank as @Meyer Jordan states is necessary for a BD.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A skimmer requires a pump for water movement, A Bottom Drain relies on gravity. They are not usually operated at the same time. In addition, a bottom drain should incorporate a settling chamber between it and the filter.

Ask a Question