Skimmer box recommendation?

Reaction score
Hi everyone! It's been a while but I'm in the middle of making my third (and much larger) Koi pond. This pond is large enough that I want to put a skimmer in. I've been looking online and found a few boxes that I think would work fine but then I thought, maybe I should ask some of my fellow enthusiasts.

The pond is 10-11 feet wide by 23-24 feet long. Most of it is 4 feet deep but gradually goes to 2 feet in the shallow end. So 264 sq. ft. and around 5,116 gallons.

I'm currently looking at the following but I would love some input or alternatives if there is a better option.

1. Atlantic Water Gardens PS4600
2. Aquascape Signature 400
3. EasyPro Axiom PSA5000
4. EasyPro Pro-Series PS1FB (rated at 6k gallons and 600 sq. ft. (Overkill but nice features. The next model down is only 250 sq. ft. and 3000 gallons rated)

Money is not a big concern but I don't want to go crazy. $500 or less is ideal. I appreciate any input. This will be my 4th Koi pond and the 3rd one I'm building myself.

Thanks!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
How about an intake bay or negative edge instead?

If you are going the skimmer route, I would go the biggest one you can afford, doesn’t hurt to have the option for a bigger pump down the road.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I love the idea of either a negative edge or intake bay but I can't have a shallow area near where my fish are. You see I have a mortal enemy where I live. His name is Mr. Blue Heron. He loves spending time near my ponds. He loves sitting on top of my garage, or on trees near my property.

If I give him shallow water to stand in, like a negative edge or little cove for an intake bay, he will stand there like a statue and hunt my fish.

None of my current ponds have a shelf or shallow area for him to stand so he just walks around and looks. The new pond I am building will not have shelves or anything, it's a slightly curved wall from top to bottom. Nothing for him to stand on. These birds usually don't like standing in water at 18" or more so 2 feet deep in my shallow end keeps the fish safe to an extent.

I really love the negative edge look though! I just know he'll perch there though. He's crafty.

Ask a Question