Skimmer & Filter help in small pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I have been doing some research about ponds and I can't seem to figure out a solution to my problem. I was hoping some of you might be able to help.
I have a small pond in my back yard that I would like to get working and put some fish in it. According to an online calculator, it's about 125 gallons. It's approx 21" Deep x 42.5" Wide from side to side and front to back. Then there is about 28" of rock and then a small waterfall at the top.

With the research that I've done. In order for me to keep fish healthy and alive, as well as have a clean and clear pond. I will need a skimmer and a filter. If these are the things I need, then I would like to do a surface skimmer with a submerged filter to keep things tidy looking.
How would I make a surface skimmer and a submerged filter work together as well as run the waterfall? Diagrams/videos would be very helpful!

Weather here, can go from 105 degrees in summer to 20 degrees in winter. I'm not sure what fish can handle being in a pond my size as well as the weather changes through out the year. So I was thinking about starting off with some gold fish and a couple Plecostomus. Would these fish be a good fit?

Attachments

• IMG_5522.JPG
    IMG_5522.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 246

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-4-18_8-59-39.gif
@Tysonm
I don't have a skimmer and don't really think you would need one for that small of a pond. Just a little net to dip in and take out debris that floats is what I would suggest. You could have a small filter in there of some sort if you like. You could use something like this below attached to a small magnetic pump. You just take it out and rinse when the flow of water slows. The outflow from your pump can go over your falls. You will prolly need some shade around the pond in that hot heat of Summer and Pleco fish cannot live in cold winters so you would have to fish him out and bring inside. A few goldfish would be fine in there but not too many as they can grow pretty big. How long does your weather stay at @20f cuz if too long it could freeze that pond too much and fish would be ice cubes. You don't want the water heating up too much either.

https://www.pondclearproducts.com/matala_ez_bio_20.html

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Could you tell us what USDA zone you are in? That’s helpful, in case there are other members who live in that zone — they will be the ones of us more likely to understand your particular climate challenges!

For a pond that small, I don’t think you need to worry about a skimmer. The purpose of the skimmer is to “skim” floating debris from the water’s surface (before they have a chance to sink to the bottom), and with such a small area, it will probably be easier for you to simply use a net — or your hands — to periodically remove debris. Anyway, skimmers are huge, big old things — better suited to larger, inground-type ponds.

I can’t tell too much about your pond from the picture, but it looks more like a fountain than a pond. You wouldn’t want to keep but a few fish, maybe goldfish. As for the filter and pump, I’ll let other members chime in there. Size is going to be a factor, as you don’t want to completely overpower that small space, and anything you place inside the pond is goint to take up valuable room. Do you know how the pond is plumbed? IOW, where does that hose go, etc? Many of us use DIY filters that sit outside of the pond, but more on that later.

It’s an interesting looking water feature and it’s apparent that someone went to a lot of time and effort in the design! I kinda like it! I can see it with some tall plants on either side, toward the back, not in the pond, but planted outside. Do you know if it holds water without leaking? Have you tested the waterfall flow to see where the water is directed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you very much for you quick reply's and the advice so far!

View attachment 109617@Tysonm
How long does your weather stay at @20f cuz if too long it could freeze that pond too much and fish would be ice cubes. You don't want the water heating up too much either.

https://www.pondclearproducts.com/matala_ez_bio_20.html

I will probably buy one of those filters, that is pretty ideal for what I want!
I live in Utah so the weather is never constant, haha. However, it's usually 20-30degrees Fahrenheit for maybe 2.5 months. The water over the past winter froze maybe 4" down from the top is all.

Do you know how the pond is plumbed? IOW, where does that hose go, etc? Many of us use DIY filters that sit outside of the pond, but more on that later.

Do you know if it holds water without leaking? Have you tested the waterfall flow to see where the water is directed?

I haven't tested the water fall flow yet, because I wanted to get my filter built before filling it with water and running everything.
I know that the hose you see in the picture, is connected straight to the waterfall. The pond had water, about 2" from the top of the pond for a year and didn't lose any water, so it doesn't have any leaks.
I read a lot about the outside filters, but I don't have a lot of room and think it would look more tidy with a submerged filter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is that big? Our koi didn't seem that big...but we were told it was an expensive top end pump...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
and while the label is nice there's no model number showing it's apparently older as liken is growing on it. a picture of the whole unit would help

Ask a Question