Skimmer for above ground pond?

Reaction score
Do they make skimmers for above ground ponds that are 3 to 3.5 ft deep?

Free standing or attached somehow to the liner? I don't think it's possible as far as installing it through the liner, but that's why I'm asking the Pro's .

Thank you

Reaction score
Those look like you would be cleaning constantly since it has such a small catching area. So if you get a ton of leaves it would clog fast. Great for low debris area or foam skimmer tho.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
dane dad, check out the hayward pool skimmers, that is what I used.( I have a external pump) They have ones with a large weir, huge leaf basket made to install through the liner. (made for above ground liner pools) We made a 2x4 frame for ours to support it, set it up last year it has not moved an inch with our freeze thaw cycles. We still need to cut the liner and finish installing it, my honey says we will do before the leaves start falling will see if it happens lol. I could do it but...................he wants to help

http://www.ipoolproducts.com/Above-Ground-Skimmers.html
look at the sp1091wm

Reaction score
Thank you

I don't know if it will work considering that I have the thickness of the 4x4's to go through before I get to the liner.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DaneDad said:
Thank you

I don't know if it will work considering that I have the thickness of the 4x4's to go through before I get to the liner.

They have ones with different throat sizes, we have a throat of around 6-8 inches, would need to go measure it, can't remember. i.e. the body of the skimmer is that far from the weir

http://store.poolcenter.com/hayward-c1254.aspx

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
KennethO said:
Those look like you would be cleaning constantly since it has such a small catching area. So if you get a ton of leaves it would clog fast. Great for low debris area or foam skimmer tho.

yes but dont forget he only has a small pond :)

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I have a $20 one with a 6" opening that for a pool. We have small oak leaves here but it does need to be cleaned daily. My pond is @2500 gallons. Clear to the bottom-4'

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have purchased a pool skimmer to use in my pond. Much less expensive than a pond skimmer. We can figure the plumbing for it if we use an external pump. Skimmer connected to external pump then to bio fall/filter, then back into pond. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to run the plumbing if we use a submersible pump? I think I have pond overload on my brain and am just drawing a blank.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
with a submersable pump, it would typically go inside the skimmer the input left basically open so as to draw water after and thru the leaf net, basket etc.. and the output plumbed to the filter. a few different angled pictures of the unit would help to discuss alternative plumbing.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I haven't received the pool skimmer yet. Should be delivered tomorrow. It's a standard swimming pool skimmer. Originally we were going with external pump and would have trenched from skimmer to filter/falls. Huge cost difference in submersible vs external pumps.
With submersible pump would probably bury Rubbermaid type container to place skimmer in and possibly drill hole to plumb to filter? Right now I have a milk crate in spot where skimmer will be. Never even thought to place skimmer and pump in same container.
Koi guy you have been a great help.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you going to draw water from the bottom of the pond at all? or just through the skimmer?

The leaf basket in mine is pretty large, it gets cleaned every few weeks or so, I do check it more often due to the frogs getting in it. (external pump)

Ask a Question