Skimmer (has anyone tried this one?)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this skimmer and what was your opinion regarding it's operation? I don't need it for filtration, but carpenter bees have decided that my patio covering my pond is delicious and their sawdust (and pollen, etc) covering my pond is driving me crazy.

Koolscapes Floating Pond Skimmer

41%2BbFZ7XU8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have never used that one before. Not sure and have not heard if they work at all. Have you tried Harbs in Baton Rouge? Off of Coursey blvd? I think in the pond room the have a internal pond skimmer on the back wall.

Reaction score
A friend of mine has that one. He bought it on ebay for like 50 dollar. It works rather well in his smallish pond, say 20m2, but be prepared to clean it out daily as the basket is pretty small and the foam will quickly clog. I hear many replace the foam with japanese matting.

Feel your pain about the sawdust though. Its terrible at the moment here too, and so I considered buying two such floating skimmers myself, but since my pond is pretty big I finally decided to build something myself on the side of my pond with a much more powerful pump. Construction starts later this week, and in the interim, I just put a container in the water a few millimetre below water level and put a 8000L pump in it. It looks ugly as sin, but does the job in an hour or two.

Reaction score
I have that same skimmer from ebay...

I dont have it on all the time. I run it about 1 or 2 times a week to collect all the floating sludge and stuff. It does fill up quickly my turtles love to lay in it as well.

Ask a Question