Skimmer overflow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking for how others have set up their pond overflow.
The Atlantic skimmer I have has a flat spot in the back of the skimmer that would/could:
A) take a bulkhead but it would have to be cut exactly to maintain the proper level and then pipe away?
B) Aquascape makes a 90 degree fitting that screws into a bulkhead that allows water level adjustments but still has to be piped away
C) or do you just drill a hole once it’s at the proper level and let it run off as needed?
My skimmer is mostly above ground so I put a row of block behind it to provide support and now have to figure how to cut the block to allow overflow if I pipe it away

Any input is appreciated

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I don’t use the skimmer as an overflow, the low end of my pond as the pond fills up, it just overflows through the rocks at that edge of the pond, then runs off in the yard. Can’t even tell it is overflowing even while it is but then again my soil is mostly sand and ironstone,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You don't have to use the skimmer as an overflow. Like @Jhn suggested - a low spot in the pond that allows for run off, if you have a spot in the yard that will allow for it. In our case we have an overflow plumbed in that takes the water to the storm sewer when we have heavy rains. We'll get too much rain for the pond to handle about twice a year, at most.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In our situation the skimmer is on the down side of the yard and with most having block walls ……the skimmer option is the first in mind but mainly surprised all skimmers don’t have an option to consider when installed, the proper level is key

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If you don’t feel comfortable setting the water level before you fill the pond, you can always fill the pond to the height you want mark it on the skimmer, drain the pond down abit then drill it for a bulkhead, would pipe it away wihout Knowing how your pond was built. You don’t want the water building up under the liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think most skimmers do consider water level in the installation. (We don't have a skimmer, but I have watched lots of videos of them being installed.) Where you set the skimmer will determine where the weir is which will determine the normal water level of the pond.

That's a separate consideration from an overflow. While the two functions could be combined in the skimmer, I would guess it's not the norm that the skimmer location would also be the ideal overflow location.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking for how others have set up their pond overflow.
The Atlantic skimmer I have has a flat spot in the back of the skimmer that would/could:
A) take a bulkhead but it would have to be cut exactly to maintain the proper level and then pipe away?
B) Aquascape makes a 90 degree fitting that screws into a bulkhead that allows water level adjustments but still has to be piped away
C) or do you just drill a hole once it’s at the proper level and let it run off as needed?
My skimmer is mostly above ground so I put a row of block behind it to provide support and now have to figure how to cut the block to allow overflow if I pipe it away

Any input is appreciated
I did add an overflow to my skimmer box when building my pond last year, but I'm not sure how effective it is. Like your skimmer, mine has a flat spot at the back where I added a bulkhead. Unfortunately, after going ahead and purchasing one of those 90 degree fittings that allows for water level adjustment, I discovered that I didn't have enough room to fit it in the skimmer. So, the water level is fixed. To get rid of any excess water, I plumbed the bulkhead to a buried drywell of sorts made from a plastic kitty litter container that I'm guessing would hold 5-10 gallons. Before burying, I drilled holes in the bottom and the sides for drainage and installed a bulkhead on the top to connect to the skimmer box outlet. I also covered it in landscape fabric, then added some gravel in the bottom and sides of the hole. How well it works, I have no idea. I do know that I have a low spot on one side of the pond where I see water pooling if I overfill when adding water. I'm guessing this is happening before the water level even rises to the overflow bulkhead in the skimmer. If anything, I think my overflow may only be effective in extreme downpour conditions.

Reaction score
I never used the feature on my Little Giant. Just something else to go wrong. If the pond gets too full it simply overflows. It's not a big deal because the water level always goes down because of evaporation. If it becomes a problem you can always just pump some out or drain it through the filkter.

Ask a Question