Skimmer pump

Reaction score
I am building a 2400 gallon pond with a waterfall. I bought a Tsurmi 3PN 50 PN-2.25S 3630 GPH submersable pump for circulation to my main waterfall and 2ea x 50 gallon DIY Biofilters. I had also earlier picked up a used OASE Biosys skimmer on Craigslist cheap which I would also like to use, since I have trees above my pond area.

My questions:

1) What sized pump would you all recommend to power the the skimmer effectively, and to return 1-2 jet lines back to the pond for water movement.

2) Is there a way to hook up the pump to the skimmer so I could avoid having to buy another pump? The pump I have is too big for the skimmer box unless I lay it diagonally down in the skimmer, and then I would need a bottom drain to get the bottom gunk off the floor of the pond.

3) Do you recommend buying a starter beneficial bacteria to get the whole Biofilter colony growing or will it just happen naturally?

Thanks,

Andy

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
microbelift makes a great filter innoculant gel that you brush right on your filter media, works great, gave me a fully active bio filter in 2weeks, instead of 2 months. with a zeolite basket,and this gel, i started my pond with 5 fish,and was up to 15 in 2 /3weeks,and maintained 0 ammonia, and nitrate readings. dont have a skimmer,i skim by hand,with a net,daily with my morning coffee.

Ask a Question