Skimmer Question

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi All,
I just purchased this awesome Savio Excellence Skimmer off of craigslist for $75 for my new 4500 gallon pond. A few questions:

1) I see the previous owner drilled two holes on the back, what would these be for? I know the pump hooks up out the top side hole of the skimmer.
2) If I don't need these holes, should I put a sealed bulkhed in them?
3) Should I leave the fitler mat in or out? Does it affect water flow? I know the filter can act as a "whole pond" filteration for up to 1500 gallons, does that mean after that I need to remove the filter mat? Or should I have it in as extra filtration.
4) I plan on pumping from here straight to a skippy waterfall. Is that ok?
5) I know there is an addon to plumb the bottom drain to the skimmer. Should I do that? Or plumb it elsewhere?

Pics of skimmer for reference:
CTzKNx2.jpg
GcQVjFK.jpg
6CPO1Rr.jpg
Ir27jSQ.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
maybe for the hoses to go back up to the water fall .Do you still have the number maybe you can ask him .I have never had a skimmer

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The two holes in the back are probably 1 for a retro bottom drain and one for a overflow. That's where I have my over flow placed for by big pond. I recommend getting Uniseals for running the pipe through them, They are a lot cheaper than bulkheads and since there is no water flow that high they don't have to be 100% water tight seals there anyway. I would change the pads to GREEN matala. It works great and makes cleaning far easier. By using some type of padding in the cartidges you'll remove a good bit of large waste before it get's to the Bio-filtration area in the skippy making it run far more efficiently as it won't have to break all that down and can more easily breakdown more ammonia and nitrates if it doesn't have to break down leaves plants mater etc.
Note, when installing, once you have it in the location and sure your level is correct, fill with water and place the lid on the skimmer before back filling. VERY important step when installing. If you don't over time the packing of dirt will cause the side to buckle and the skimmer body to become warped. Always replace the top after cleaning. the top is what helps keep the skimmer body in shape.

Ask a Question