Skimmer Question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi Everyone! I am in need of recommendations for a good pond skimmer for a smallish pond 8'x14' with heavy leaf fall. I have MANY mature trees surrounding it and even branches which overhang the pond. I am thinking the best thing would be an inground skimmer because they seem to be able to handle the most leaves. Any suggestions? And would I be able to retrofit one to my pond? The liner is not mortared in. Or should I bite the bullet and hire someone to help me?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Honestly, we hired someone to put ours in, but lots of folks here have done them on their own. A pool net is a big help in scooping leaves out too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I like the Helux skimmer.They have an extra large basket as an option.
But I built one with the same basket and floating weir. The goldfish never get into it.

IMG_0091.jpegIMG_0100.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I love my Helix. It's pricey but I think it works very well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Can a newbie install this or will I need professional help?
Hmmm. I think your best bet is to watch The Pond Digger on YouTube. Look at his How to Build a Fish Pond series and watch the videos having to do with the skimmer. The only bad thing is that the segment with plumbing how to's is no longer available. But watching these will give you an idea of what you are getting into. I had my husband to help with the plumbing and he is pretty handy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hmmm. I think your best bet is to watch The Pond Digger on YouTube. Look at his How to Build a Fish Pond series and watch the videos having to do with the skimmer. The only bad thing is that the segment with plumbing how to's is no longer available. But watching these will give you an idea of what you are getting into. I had my husband to help with the plumbing and he is pretty handy!
Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
One other thought... I bought my Helix from an authorized Helix seller/ pond contractor. He offered to pre-plumb the skimmer itself -- drilled a big round hole for the pipe and installed the screw-on thingie. (You can tell I know almost nothing about it.) But depending on where you get your skimmer - whatever kind you go with - maybe the seller would do something similar. My husband swears that anyone can learn to do anything from watching YouTube videos. (I'd dispute the ANYTHING part. But many things! ;) )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree about learning from youtube. I looked at a lot of videos when I tore out my kitchen down to the studs, added insulation, planned what I needed for wiring, put together and installed Ikea cabinet, etc, etc. Very handy, that youtube. But, now having watched the Pondguy install a skimmer, I want to find someone to do it for me! And I might just wait a bit since I just cleaned and refilled my pond, the bog is working great, and the fish seem really happy. You can see all the way to the bottom of the pond, even in the 3' deep part.
But, since I haven't redone the edges of the pond where the skimmer would go, now seems like the right time to install the skimmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I find I get some foam bubbles on the surface if I don't run the skimmer. Well worth having one, catches the plant parts coming in from the bog.

Reaction score
I have the Little Giant skimmer and my pond is about the same size as yours. I put it in after the pond was built and had no issues doing it. It's a little scary cutting a hole in the liner but it isn't difficult. You do have to dig a large hole and you have to drain the pond below the area that you are going to cut out. The skimmer wasn't cheap if I recall it was around $300 dollars. I have my pump in it so it serves a dual purpose.

Ask a Question