Skimmer recommendations

Reaction score
I'm looking for an unobtrusive relatively inexpensive ($100 +/- $50) skimmer. I'm building a 600g pond with a bottom drain, going to a 55g Doc style bio filter, then pumped up to a waterfall.

Interested in the skimmer primarily for foam and leaf removal, so really doesn't have to fancy.

Recommendations?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought a hayward pool skimmer. nice big weir.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
jmhart said:
I'm looking for an unobtrusive relatively inexpensive ($100 +/- $50) skimmer. I'm building a 600g pond with a bottom drain, going to a 55g Doc style bio filter, then pumped up to a waterfall.

Interested in the skimmer primarily for foam and leaf removal, so really doesn't have to fancy.

Recommendations?

I did some looking and really for that size pond I'm kind of stumped. Your doing a 55 gallon Doc style filter, and wanting a skimmer, why not a bigger pond? 600 gallons is pretty small, I would recommend going at least 36' deep 48" is better in most ponds to help keep a good thermal layer in your pond. (Warm in the winter, cool in the summer) This allows you to keep the fish outdoors without having to worry as much about the pond freezing solid, If you stay this size don't even consider Koi, Please, it's to small.
If it was 6'x6' x3' that is right at 800 gallons, The filter, and skimmer combo should do a very good job on a pond up to 2000 gallons with a decent amount of fish. and Koi could be considered. Most skimmers are rated for ponds over 1000 gallons. the smaller ones for the most part fit in the pond, or are cheap freestanding types and really, they aren't worth the money. Atlantic makes a decent skimmer that will last for years, simple in design but yet very functional. Ps-4000. It's slightly higher than what your looking to spend but only by another $20 or so. Myself, I like the savio compact, Superb design and is easy to install and easy to upkeep, Plus it would be the perfect compliment skimmer to a Doc style filter as it has the leaf catch basket, then matala prefilters to catch the bigger stuff and let the Doc filter do exactly what it is designed for, Bio filtering. Plus it has the option of a UV light in the filter if you wish. It installs in the filter in about five minutes if you decide you need one and no extra plumbing needed. It cost about $350 w/o UV light but I have to say, I would buy another one in a heartbeat. worth every penny in my opinion. It can handle comfortably a pond up to 2500 gallons and I would say 3000 shouldn't be a problem as long as the pond had really good filter to go with it.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
I did some looking and really for that size pond I'm kind of stumped. Your doing a 55 gallon Doc style filter, and wanting a skimmer, why not a bigger pond? 600 gallons is pretty small, I would recommend going at least 36' deep 48" is better in most ponds to help keep a good thermal layer in your pond. (Warm in the winter, cool in the summer) This allows you to keep the fish outdoors without having to worry as much about the pond freezing solid, If you stay this size don't even consider Koi, Please, it's to small.
If it was 6'x6' x3' that is right at 800 gallons, The filter, and skimmer combo should do a very good job on a pond up to 2000 gallons with a decent amount of fish. and Koi could be considered. Most skimmers are rated for ponds over 1000 gallons. the smaller ones for the most part fit in the pond, or are cheap freestanding types and really, they aren't worth the money. Atlantic makes a decent skimmer that will last for years, simple in design but yet very functional. Ps-4000. It's slightly higher than what your looking to spend but only by another $20 or so. Myself, I like the savio compact, Superb design and is easy to install and easy to upkeep, Plus it would be the perfect compliment skimmer to a Doc style filter as it has the leaf catch basket, then matala prefilters to catch the bigger stuff and let the Doc filter do exactly what it is designed for, Bio filtering. Plus it has the option of a UV light in the filter if you wish. It installs in the filter in about five minutes if you decide you need one and no extra plumbing needed. It cost about $350 w/o UV light but I have to say, I would buy another one in a heartbeat. worth every penny in my opinion. It can handle comfortably a pond up to 2500 gallons and I would say 3000 shouldn't be a problem as long as the pond had really good filter to go with it.

The pond is roughly 8' x 4' irregular shape, 4' deep at the deepest...however, it tiers. First and 2nd tier are a foot wide, and 1' and 3' deep respectively. 3' tier (and bottom) is 4' deep by about 2' wide. The 600g is an early guess based on my wife's ridiculously overkill Google Sketch-up rendition.

However, I'm a firm believer in over filtration, hence the 55g doc. Between craiglist and a little know-how, I can build that for as cheap as anything else, so why not.

My only reasons for the skimmer is because I live in an old-growth part of Atlanta with lots of trees and I'd like to not have to net it out every day, and in case I start to experience any foam issues. It's not a major investment up front (relative to the overall cost of a pond) and it's something that would be much easier to install in the beginning. If y'all think it's unnecessary, that's cool. But if there's even a, say, 30% chance I'll need it later, I'd rather go ahead and install it.

I appreciate the help, but the lecture on pond size, koi, and bigger is better was really unnecessary. My pond is the size it is for a reason. I asked a question for skimmer recommendations. I understand that housing koi in a small pond is a big issue, but it's kind of a turn off when all new members are greeted with the assumption that they haven't done any research. My original post said nothing about koi.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I appreciate the help, but the lecture on pond size, koi, and bigger is better was really unnecessary. My pond is the size it is for a reason. I asked a question for skimmer recommendations. I understand that housing koi in a small pond is a big issue, but it's kind of a turn off when all new members are greeted with the assumption that they haven't done any research. My original post said nothing about koi.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I seem to come across like that, I have posted in another thread. I post like this for a reason. I may be answering your question but I post so that someone that hasn't done research or doesn't really know what is going on may benefit also. I've worked in the pet business for years, and worked offshore where guys come in with years of experience and yet don't know anything about what we specifically did on our jobs. So please take what information you need from the post and remember that I post for other members as well not just to the one person asking as I have not seen your pond personally and don't know all the details. Just trying to help. Also keep in mind I do keep koi and there are things that need to be considered if someone may be wanting to raise them.
IMO, I would add a skimmer, as far as removing foam, all it does is remove it from the surface but what caused it will probably still be in the water and needs to be removed to actually clear the foam issue up, But skimming does help greatly in increasing Oxygen levels, removes leaves from the pond that would cause bigger problems later and it makes maintance so much easier for you in the long run. Plus it puts a lesser load on the Bio filter and allows it to do its job a lot better.
Again, I'm sorry if I sounded like you didn't do any research, not my intentions at all. I'm simply trying to help answer questions and give reason behind my answers for all to be able to use.

BTW, I figured up your pond in gallons by your desciption and your wife is really pretty close, without the shelves it would be about 960 gallons, taking the shelves and all into consideration I think the 600 gallons is on the low side of the estimate, 750 gallons would be on the high side. Again she may be right on the money, just wanted to check and see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great info, Fishin. I'm one that reads others posts and responses, trying to get each and every bit of info that is given, whether I think I need it now or not. I appreciate the way you explain things very thoroughly and with lots of description. I can understand how JMHart may have taken it wrong, but it was great of you to repost with more info and reasons. I've seen nothing but kind, helpful people on this site. Keep up the great work! :)

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thank you CountryEscape, that means alot! If I have helped one person from a post I make I feel it's worthwhile. If I help more than one then I feel I have made a improvement to the hobby. If I can get one piece of information that I didn't know and can use it to help my pond or another hobbist then I prove to myself I'm never to old to learn.:)

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Yes fishin4cars I agree. I saw nothing wrong with your post and even reread it to see what I missed. Some folks just have a short fuse. From the sounds of it maybe its his wifes project and he is less then thrilled to be involved. JMO....IDK

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
koidaddy said:
Yes fishin4cars I agree. I saw nothing wrong with your post and even reread it to see what I missed. Some folks just have a short fuse. From the sounds of it maybe its his wifes project and he is less then thrilled to be involved. JMO....IDK

now now, lets don't go there. I understand where he is coming from. It's not the first time I have offended someone with a post trying to answwer a question like that. I fully understand where he is coming from and that's why I explained myself. The way I post I do try and cover from complete novice to the advanced hobbist. On a site like this you really don't know someone and what they know or don't. As I have already posted I don't just try to answer a question most of the time, I try to make the answers where anyone reading may get some useful information from it. As he stated his pond is the size it is for a reason, he didn't mention anything about Koi, and he has been doing research. I didn't take offense to his post at all and fully understand it. So lets not make this more than it is. I've explained my reason for posting and he can use what he can from it and others can use what they can. I'm not here to make beefs with fellow hobbyist. Lets leave this post to helping and not to stirring up a pot. Thanks, Larkin

Reaction score
fishin ,

You do a good job of not only answering the question but you also add as much info as you see is revelent to the question . Keep throwing it out there , some will stick , some won't . Let the reader select what info is useful , if they all ready know if fine , someone else may learn somethnig just the same .

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
koidaddy said:

My appoligies to you jmhart for my final statement I made here. I have know idea what you doing with your project. I need to think before posting.

Ask a Question