Skimmer suggestions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have decided I need to install a skimmer on my 3000 gal pond. Maybe a uv as well. This summer I have been having an issue with floating algea and or mulm that continually collects around my lilies. Particularly on hot days. I scoop it out a couple times a week but hoping a skimmer will help. Leaves are also a problem here of course although I do net the pond in the fall.
So my question is what type of skimmer would you recommend and if you have purchased a skimmer and had any negative issues with it. Budget is an issue but will invest enough to get a decent unit.
As far as a uv, I dont have a clue what size would be needed for my pond. I have one line coming off my 4200 gph Laguna maxflow which splits into 2 lines with one going into the skippy and the other just flowing into the waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use the Savio large skimmer and have a 4700 gph pump in it with 2" hose coming out. They rate this skimmer as a 5000 gph as max. I also installed 2 57 watt aqua retro fit UV's in the skimmer which have worked great. I installed 2 due to flow rate. I use the 16 weir. I recommend a pump cut off switch with any skimmer, if your water drops below the weir or the leaf basket gets filled up the the water flow could be a problem. My pmp has a float switch so it will kick off when to low and kick back on once water level returns. I have had no negative issues with the Savio at all. It is a maintenance piece that will need cleaning but saves so much debris from going to the bottom. They are not cheap but I do see them used on craigslist a bit. The skimmer is very easy to install and requires no glues or sealant to the existing liner. I do think they are worth the price in my opinion. The cover I can stand on also, very well made.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I too have a Savio skimmer and like it very much. I haven't added the UV lights to it yet as I have them in my pressurized filter. I may upgrade my filter next year and like the option of putting my UV's in the skimmer. I keep two pumps in my simmer, but don't have a pump cut off switch yet - good idea though!

I think they're worth the money.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thanks Tula and RobAmy. The Savios look top notch but their price reflects that too. That would be my first choice but I will have to think about it and decide if I want to invest that much. Wonder if I would need a separate pump then or could use my existing Laguna and go from skimmer to skippy to falls?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
I'm trying to decide on a skimmer solution for my set-up. That Savio system looks really nice, but it looks like I'd need to invest in a new pump. Theirs seems to be a "vertical" design where my pump sits horizontally on 4 feet. I need to find something that will allow me to place my pump into it. (more of a "box" shape). I can't afford another $600 for a new pump. Still doing research on a skimmer that will fit what I already have.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm trying to decide on a skimmer solution for my set-up. That Savio system looks really nice, but it looks like I'd need to invest in a new pump. Theirs seems to be a "vertical" design where my pump sits horizontally on 4 feet. I need to find something that will allow me to place my pump into it. (more of a "box" shape). I can't afford another $600 for a new pump. Still doing research on a skimmer that will fit what I already have.
The Helix skimmer looks huge, that should fit any pump on the market.

Reaction score
I just installed the large Savio skimmer in my pond rehab project. So far i really like it. That huge leaf basket is what sold me on it. Yep, was concerned about the 5,000 gph max rating. The instruction manual says for pumps over 5,000 gph to remove the filter and use their pricey upflow filters.

After running the Savio filter skimmer with a 7,200 gph pump in it and watching it, IMO all that would need to be done is cutting a bypass hole in the middle baffle. With a half-dirty filter, it still flows just fine, it's the flow path through the UV light housings that restict the flow. I may just enlarge the in and out pasages in those, if i decide I'm not going to use the UV feature.

I too am wanting to put a low-water shutoff switch in mine, but I'm ponering a way to include a time delay to turn the pump back on. Otherwise the pump could cycle on and off quickly as the water level catches-up. The best would be after three low-water shutoffs in a given time period, no restart because something is plugged or the pond water level is too low.

Reaction score
Your pond is a lot larger than mine, but I picked up a Tetra in-pond skimmer that attaches right to your pump using flexible piping. When I redo my pond I will invest in a better skimmer, but this does its job with skimming the pond in the mean time. I've had this for 2 years now and my pond has been very clean since I've installed it. I no longer have that layer of muck that I always had to shop vac away each week before I installed the skimmer and my diy filter.

Now its just emptying my skimmer basket and back flush my filter, much easier maintenance than before. The only issue is the included filter pad gets clogged fast, I have a matala pad in there that under the leaf basket now.

Tetra Skimmer: http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Pond-26562-TetraPond-Skimmer/dp/B002RBCT0O

Here's a video of my pond and you will see the skimmer in action towards the end of the video:

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I use a Laguna 5000... aside from being a bit ugly until I got the faux rock cover, it does a pretty good job and very easy to setup and run.

Ask a Question