Skimmer Winterization

Reaction score
I have the Savio skimmer filter and was wondering how others winterize it.

A few weeks ago I drained some water so that the water level is about 4 inches below the bottom of the skimmer opening. That means it's about 7-8 inches below the normal water level. Then I pumped out the skimmer and then wet vac'd the remaining water. The problem is that every time it rains the water level rises and I’ll have to keep pumping water out of the skimmer when it fills up and out of the pond. That’s a job I don’t want to do all winter. Also if we have a lot of rain and a quick subsequent freeze I may not be able to get out there in time.

I also thought of keeping the water at its normal level, which means the skimmer will be full, and putting a small floating deicer and/or an air stone in there to keep it from freezing.

Anyone have any suggestions???

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You might try cutting a piece of foam large enought to plug the opening, then duct tape it in place. That should make a water tight seal.

For the pond level, a float switch set to the desired level and tied to an evacuation pump will take care of rainfall increases.

Reaction score
Good question. This is our first winter with such a large pond, we have been bickering back and forth about what to do with the skimmer, leave it full of water, or to drop the water level and empty it out. I'm going to call savio tomorrow and see what their suggestion is.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You do not want to leave water in it. When water freezes, it expands and that will crack the plastic skimmer.

Reaction score
thank you DrDave. I just went onto their website and they suggest closing the weir door, then placing foam to reinforce the opening. Then running the pump to drain as much water out as possible then unhook the pump and store in a clean dry place, however everything I've read on here suggests keeping it in a bucket with water while it's not running so that the seals don't dry out and rot.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I would keep it under water as well. I have lost spare pumps that were allowed to dry out. When I tried to use it, the rotor was frozen in place and the motor burned up. Change the water regularly as it will go bad.

Reaction score
I took the pump out and stuck it in the deep end instead of a bucket.

I don't think the weir door will give a watertight seal will it? What do you think about the de-icer and/or air stone idea?

Ask a Question