Skimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pump with two inlets one for the filter one for I assume a skimmer can anyone suggest a skimmer I can attach to this via a pipe connected to my pump. Thanks Richard

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1599948442918.gif
@Raptor
I don't use a skimmer so can't help ya there.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Pic of the pump would be helpful in figuring out what will work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Body inlet and on the front outlet to filter shown on the left

Attachments

• cfp-13000-15000-18000_1.jpg
    cfp-13000-15000-18000_1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 104
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm a little confused when you say "attach to a skimmer". I have a skimmer and the pump sits inside the skimmer. The pump draws water from the pond through the skimmer and then sends it to the filter through a pipe that exits through the side of the skimmer.

Can you elaborate more on what you're looking for ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't use a skimmer anymore, but the one I had needed an external pump as you describe. A piece of hose comes out of the side port of the skimmer to the inlet port of the pump. You can just leave the pump sitting in the water having the water exit it's outlet port or add a hose and send the water wherever you want. You can feed various spitters or a waterfall if you like.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a little confused when you say "attach to a skimmer". I have a skimmer and the pump sits inside the skimmer. The pump draws water from the pond through the skimmer and then sends it to the filter through a pipe that exits through the side of the skimmer.

Can you elaborate more on what you're looking for ?
I know that some skimmers have there own pump in them but as my pump has an inlet for water that goes to a filter I thought maybe there is a skimmer that is just a collector and my pump would draw the water and bits in

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The one I have is an economical skimmer made by Tetra. It was forty something (US) dollars if I recall correctly. I don't use it anymore, it's in my shed collecting dust. It has a removeable filter pad and an outlet toward the bottom on each side. One outlet gets plugged while you have a hose attached to the other outlet going to the inlet of your pump.
The reason I don't use it anymore is that debris would get past the filter pad and clog the pump. I was constantly cleaning out the impeller of the pump. I tried adding more filter padding, but eventually gave up.
If something requires that much work, the fun of it quickly goes away. That's one of the reasons I built a bog filter. There's virtually no maintenance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From what i can see from the web sites that carry that style of pump is the pump is submersable and draws water from 2 points one the vent slots around the pump and the second is and has a shutoff to limit how much water you want the pump to push/pull. All the skimmers I know of have a area to drill a bulked fitting into to connect a hose. But it appears it should be smaller those genery aren't strong pumps comparatively

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried this solution, pump in the pond and then use the secondary input to effectively suck from the skimmer built into the side. It isn’t very satisfactory, limited flow and almost no flow once the water level drops a couple of cms. Just bought a second pump to instal in the skimmer so the skimmer works better.

The pumps are much better at push than pulling.

Ask a Question