Skimmer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
After searching through the threads I cannot find anything that addresses my question as to which skimmer is better, savio or helix? I had aquascape skimmers in my old pond and was not that impressed. Fish and toads would get caught all the time and jump the basket into the pump (I finally had to secure a net over the baskets which was a pain to take off when I wanted to clean debris out) and the sides started to warp a bit also. I am sure this has been a discussion in the past and would appreciate it if anyone knows how to find it...My pond will only be about 1500 gallons...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I just net out any debris.
I tried a skimmer way back and found it to be too much of a hassle. The pump kept clogging, jambing up with twigs and an occasional fish would get caught in it.

I have a lot of trees and the only time I have trouble with leaves is during the Fall. I put a leaf net over it when that starts to happen.

If you really want some way to skim the surface, do what @combatwombat suggested, a negative edge.

There's another method similar, but I'm having a brain fart and can't remember what it's called.
EDIT: the second one is an intake bay!
Maybe @combatwombat can refresh my memory and describe the differences between the two.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I just net out any debris.
I tried a skimmer way back and found it to be too much of a hassle. The pump kept clogging, jambing up with twigs and an occasional fish would get caught in it.

I have a lot of trees and the only time I have trouble with leaves is during the Fall. I put a leaf net over it when that starts to happen.

If you really want some way to skim the surface, do what @combatwombat suggested, a negative edge.

There's another method similar, but I'm having a brain fart and can't remember what it's called.
EDIT: the second one is an intake bay!
Maybe @combatwombat can refresh my memory and describe the differences between the two.
I will definitely research the negative edge...Thank you so much:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Negative edge, intake bay,skimmers , and bottom drains are the four most popular methods to pull in dirty water.

Ask a Question