Skimmers and pumps

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning,

I had a question about skimmers. I see a lot of different designs for pre-formed skimmers and I wanted to see how pump size effect this. I've seen the aquascape models where you place a pump inside of small basin and other styles where you would just hook to a pump input. My question is if I have a 2000gal pond and I put a 3000GPH or larger pump on the skimmer would this be enough to filter the whole pond back to a waterfall? Would it create a rapid intake not just sucking in debris but fish as well? Would I need additional pumps to properly circulate the water?

Thank you,
Sean

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Answer is depends on how the pond is designed for circulation. If it were me I would use around 4-5000 gph pump, if skimmer and waterfall are at opposite ends of the pond this should provide plenty of circulation.

I know many have problems with fish in their skimmers, but in all the years I have hadponds and skimmers I never had an issue with fish getting stuck in the skimmer. Either way just get an appropriately sized skimmer fir the pump size or even create an intake bay or negative edge where your pump is housed, the latter two options will prevent fish from getting sucked into a skimmer if that is your main concern.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
And if you really want a skimmer instead of an intake bay (which is probably the absolute safest for fish) I will say I have enjoyed my Helix skimmer. It was expensive! But it has been nice to not have to worry about the fish getting stuck. There are so many options and endless combinations of pumps, vaults, skimmers, etc. But it is great to have different choices!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
second the helix, plus the helix has a triple deep skimmer basket for the fall leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
One thought with the Helix - it requires a deep and kind of narrow hole. Our ground is very hard here and boy, it was difficult! I had to rent a jackhammer. In my opinion, it was all worth it - but definitely something to consider if you go the skimmer route.

Ask a Question