Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Waterbug, thanks for the info.

All, I visited several web sites last night, and watched a few videos. It's starting to make a little more sense, now, but would still like to see a few [variety of different] pond skimmers "in service" on some local ponds. Wondering, though, for my smallish pond, if it would be feasible to have one that is permanently installed -- more from a space issue, as installation doesn't look too complicated.

What about one like the cylinder one [brand?] that you sink down and anchor with rocks?

"Protein" skimmers came up often in my searches ... anything I should think about NOW, or wait until I have more ponding experience? With lots of "turtle poop," would that be considered DOC's and/or OC's?

---------

Newbie question, but does the filter pump work for both the skimmer AND the filter? I was reading about pump output and it was seeming like the skimmer might need to move more water than what I will need for my DIY filter. Still processing, but as I understand, you don't want TOO much GPH/GPM action as it will make the water go through the filter too fast to allow for contact with the bacteria.

:) :) Gosh, so much to learn! :) :)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You can always split the oulet from your pump, sending some to the filter and the rest directly to the falls. John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very informative video, thanks for posting and what plane will you be arriving on to set me up w/ a nice system like that?

Reaction score
The anchor down skimmer is the floating type I was referring too.

For a 300 gal pond regular water changes would take care of DOCs. No water is wasted if used to water plants. It generally takes a year or two for DOCs to become an issue and that issue normally is foam on the surface. People with really high fish loads worry about DOCs, but for water gardens it should be pretty far down the list. For the foam on the water I like a catch basin under the water falls so all foam collects there. The foam can be scooped out if wanted.

A good design imo uses a single pump.

TOO much GPH/GPM action as it will make the water go through the filter too fast to allow for contact with the bacteria

Yes, this concept is mentioned a lot and by some pretty reputable sources. It sounds good, but makes little sense to me however. Two reasons. First, imagine the micro world of bacteria. Say a nice slow water flow, and an ammonia molecule floating along. In that tiny world the ammonia molecule would absolutely fly by, like a jet. To a bacteria an inch would be like 1,000 miles to us. The ammonia molecule has to actually hit the bacteria which triggers an instant chemical reaction.

Even in what we would consider still water there are normally currents. Even then, to bacteria, water would be flying by.

The second reason for my skepticism is the high speed of water thru a fluidized bed or trickle tower. Both are proven bio filters, way better than submerged media, yet water speed is many times faster.

So I think time of contact is yet another myth. I also haven't run into any studies on the subject to convince me otherwise.

Reaction score
Larkin,

That was a really swell video and description of your operation. I really enjoyed listening to you go through it.

My system, as you know, isn't going to be a pond, just a rather large and elaborate bait tank. But, I have been following along with a few other individuals in their pursuits to get some ideas for both my bait tank avenue and a future pond as well. Thanks for the tutorial on your system and as well for great looking scenery of you pond!

Gordy

Ask a Question