Skimmers

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas on DIY skimmers or low cost skimmers?
My pond sits under a tree... great for shade and algea prevention, not so great for leaves in the fall.
I do not have a secondary pump to rotate the water but my two waterfalls generally push everything to one corner.
Any ideas would be great, pictures would be even better!
Thanks!
Lee-Anne

Reaction score
I used a pool skimmer that I purchased for $20. I have it drain into another box, where my pump is located. A 5 gallon pail could be used, just need to make sure the top of the pail would be above the pond level, so water doesn't spill out.

Reaction score
Another option, is some type of pvc sink. That was what I was going to use first, but decided to go with the pool skimmer, as it was cheaper and less work.

With the sink version, you can have your pump in the skimmer.

Reaction score
If it a big tree...you should consider a tarp until the leaves are down...I used a net..but some morning doves got tangled up in it...doing a tarp this year..having one custom made for my size pond...after the leaves are gone it goes back in storage till next year....I have a skimmer...Aquascape big one ...but won't keep up with a lot of leaves from nearby trees...tarp is the way to go...skimmer is great for small everyday stuff

Reaction score
A skimmer is a good idea, but you'll still need to keep the leaves out of the pond in the fall. A skimmer will get the leaves that stay afloat long enough, but too many will sink before they reach the skimmer.

I use a leaf net which I stretch from a rope running between two trees to the ground around the entire pond. The net was not expensive, and if there are no leaves on it, it's barely visible.

Reaction score
adsway said:
I thought with a bio filter you don't need a skimmer...
Even if the biofilter was big enough to cope with the load from all those rotting leaves (unlikely), it couldn't make the mass of the leaves go away, and the pond would fill in with soil.

Ask a Question