SKIPPY FILTER QUESTIONS

Reaction score
Ok, I see there are posts but I need some quick answers if anyone can help me. We are in the process of building the skippy filter out of the 150 gallon container I am wondering where people buy the filter media, not furnace filters. I also wonder how much I need. Also has anyone bought the Skippy bacteria and the enzymes to clean up your pond going from winter to spring from them and is it worth the extra money? I live in Pa and was wondering where the cheapest places would be. any help would be appreciated.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I would try a commercial cleaning supply company or a janitorial suppy place. Thats where I got my filter media from for my 100 gallon skippy. Took 2 boxes of the 18 inch floor pads and 1 box of the 15 inch pads.

Reaction score
Do you have a media type in mind? We stopped buy "pond media" and just go to the hardware store and buy the pads meant for the big commercial floor buffers and cut them up. Use them in just about everything now, including the AQUARIUM filters ...

Reaction score
My theoretical opinion is that the floor scrubber pads may be better than the dedicated filter media because it is "rough" surfaced which would provide a better foothold for bacteria cultures.
Filter media like the Matala brand mats and rolls seem to be very smooth surfaced. Although Matala and similar media seem more pleasent to work with as they are more pliable and less
abrasive, I wonder if the scrubber pads (floor scrubber discs and even Scotch Brite pads) are not better suited for the intended purpose. Maybe it really doesn't matter one way or the other
nd in that case, the least expensive route would be more desirable in the long run.

Catfishnut

Reaction score
I was figuring on using scrubbies just was trying to see where most people bought them and what bacteria they spike them with on the Skippy fikter system for 150 gallon tub. Thanks for the responses

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i got some of my pads at the dollar store, but found SAM'S CLUB is actually a better deal. MICROBELIFTS PL GEL filter innoculant works well..follow the directions. and do it outside, it smells real bad!

Reaction score
Koiguy,
Question, I see on the skippy website that the media is on the thicker side, I just looked at the Sam's club website and the scrubbies are thinner, do you think that matters with these? I'm just trying to do this thing right at a reasonable price. My pond will only be a year old in May and I want to clear it up so I can see my fish. I really appreciate all the help that I have been getting on this forum.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i can only tell you my experience with the scrubber pads... i have a couple layers of the blue "cut to fit" furnace filter on the bottom. my 70 gal stocktank took 3 of them to cover the grid, 1&1/2 per layer. they cut to fit the tank on top of my lower grid. like matala pads. then i have the remainder filled with the scrubbies cut into pieces roughly 3" x 3". my filter has been in use for 5 years.some of the media has been in use longer in the filter i used before building my "skippy style" filters. and my pond speaks for itself. 1200 gals and 6 fish over 16" and about 200 fry every year. i have yet to have any issues with water quality, clarity, or fish health, and i use the same media in my outdoor pond filter and my 800 gal basement wintering pond filter. i move the media, and pump the pond water when i move the fish between ponds..so my media gets used 365 days a year. and unlike some folks may post, .unlike the original "skippy" my filters have a flush valve so i can eliminate most of the debris collected in the bottom or sump area of the filter. heres links to my builds:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/3510-koiguys-70-gal-skippy-style-filter/
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/2766-koiguys-55-gallon-bio-filter-skippy-style/
you'll notice i dont have a 'pipe' toilet flange or whatnot as an outlet.. i make weirs for waterfalls. if your interested i have a few available at this time. there are about a half dozen folks here who have purchaced them from me and everyone says theyre real happy with them.heres a link to them:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/3664-waterfall-weirs-for-diy-filters/

Reaction score
Ok, so we built the filter and we are getting ready to put it in the ground, now I live in Pennsylvania and I got microbilft for the filters can I do that this weekend or will the bacterica die? Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
tee1172 said:
Ok, so we built the filter and we are getting ready to put it in the ground, now I live in Pennsylvania and I got microbilft for the filters can I do that this weekend or will the bacterica die? Any help is appreciated.
tee,

I am not sure what "Microbift" is. If it is a bacteria starter culture, my gut reaction would be to wait until the water temp is at least 50° and there is some bio-load in the water.
I have no idea if I am right, but that is my instinct.

Catfishnut

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I no longer use it did not see a difference when I stopped. However I always waited until pond temps consistently were above 50.

Reaction score
Ok, I'm wondering if I should have spent the money to put this together. A week and 1/2 later my pond is still very green it doesn't really look like it lightened at all. I have alot of string algae also. I added beneficial bacteria. Am I just jumping the gun?

Reaction score
Tee,

The green coloring may be simply a large bloom of algae or phytoplankton. The chlorophyl in these organisms gives it the green coloring. The bacteria in your skippy filter will not control this. The filter might mechanically strain some of it out, but I don't think you want your filter to do this as it will eventually clog it up and the algae will just continue to grow. The bacteria converts ammonia to nitrites and the nitrites to nitrates and the algae will live on the nitrates. Plants will absorb the nitrates so a few potted plants may help as they would compete with the algae, to some extent, but maybe not enough to completely remove the green color from the water. There are many methods that people use to eliminate algae, and some of them are mythical. The best approach would be to determine "WHY" the algae is growing so prolifically and then remedy that. In my opinion, it is probably due to a high concentration of DOCs and nitrates combined with the pH level. If that be the case, then you need to find the source of those and remove, hinder or alter them.

I would perform a chemical test of your pond water. If you don't want the hassle or expense of buying the kits, you can have a lab do it for you. If you contact your local agricultural extension office, they can direct you to a laboratory where you can have your water tested at a reasonable cost (maybe $30 - $45). They will send you an extremely detailed report of your water's chemistry. I do this for my well water at my cabin and the test results include everything you ever wanted to know about your water and things you don't and things you never heard of. That might be a very good place to start.

Catfishnut

Ask a Question