Skippy type filter, pump, how much is too much?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Stroppy, I don't have a UV yet. I've considered it. Now that I have learned that I have the capacity to add one with the pumps I already own I might consider adding one. I plan to "skippyafy" my other filter, the round one by the plantain plants. Once I do that and if the water still doesn't clear up I might ask Santa for a UV light. I believe there are two camps out there regarding UV use with ponds. Do you think UV's are harmful for ponds that run bio filters? Also, with around 5000 gallons I wonder how much flow I would put past a UV and what wattage it would require. Thank you! Rob

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
UV light only kills bacteria that passes through the housing, not the ones growing in your filter. John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
John, I was wondering if you could recommend a uv brand for me to look into. I looked yesterday and for a 5000 gallon pond they were around 800 dollars. I'd like to see my fish better but not at such an elevated cost. Thanks, Rob

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
on the U.V killing good bacteria...if you add supplimental beneficial bacteria, its a good idea to turn off your U.V for a day or two. but good bacteria colonizes hard surfaces. when added, bottled bacterias are temporarily free floating until they find a home. during this short period is the only time that a U.V presents any danger to them. now anaerobic or bad bacteria remains free floating..killing it is a plus. U.Vs also kill pathogens,parasites,disease carrying bacteria and viruses...these benefits are on top of its intended use of killing green water (single cell) alge. that said, for its alge only intended purpose, turning it off once the water is clear is fine!...36 watts would be the smallest you'd want....check eBay for deals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
KG, what do you think about a 72 watt uv for my pond? I was thinking about splitting one of my hose runs to one of my filters it would receive max 1250 gph. In addition, should this water be fed into my filter, the water that passes by the uv, or should it be fed back into the pond? I found one for $120 on ebay and I am considering something in this price range. Thank you, Rob

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i can tell you my pond is only 1200 gals... but i used a 9 watt tetrapond and a 1200 gph tetrapond pump... and it worked fantastic...more is better, and can handle a higher flow rate as well. so 72 may be more than you need but you know it will get the job done. i had the 9 watter from my 450 gal pond, i wasnt sure how it would do on the 1200. but it worked great...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-36-WATT...319?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fc9fb887

My buddy got one of these and I have to say I was impressed for the money. It worked great at clearing a 3200 gallon pond that was near to pea soup green in just less than a week. Once his pond had plants starting good he only needed it during the spring bloom. he's been using it for two years with no problems at all, but he only uses it when needed and then unhooks it, cleans it and stores it, so it doesn't waste the bulb usage. The bulbs for these aren't expensive and they do work well, the only thing I recommend is taking the seals and lubricating them with a oring lubricant before installing, this will lengthen the the life of the oring and seals and make for easier replacement when needed. Not the best quality built so try and protect it from being hit or bumped but for the money it's a great deal and it does work good. Like I said I was impressed with it for sure!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thanks for the great advice regarding the uv lights. I hope to get one soon and keep everyone up to date with the improvement. I will take some pictures of the pond this afternoon. I believe this will be a couple of weeks since I made one filter a skippy type.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Here are some pictures from this afternoon.

Attachments

• 100_0028.JPG
    100_0028.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 266
  • 100_0015.JPG
    100_0015.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 282
  • 100_0006.JPG
    100_0006.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 325

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Green banana's look nice, not so much the green water,lol!
Will be nice when you can get your water nice and clear. Hope the uv and plants will help ya.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
a little sea sick green .It will clear up just give the filter some time and make sure no gunk is on the bottom .I use a pool net to get gunk from mine .

Ask a Question