Slop pit of death take 2

Reaction score
Hello all....

I posted last year (bad math on its size) trying to figure a way to maintain a natural high water table pond (vernal pool...) I have in front of my property. I decided to just watch it for the year and see what it would do. I don't want to put any effort into it until I can find a way to keep water in it at an acceptable level. I'd like to keep it around 3-6" higher then it naturally wants to be starting in late May. Then mid June-July It needs a foot extra...august-October it needs some serious help. Late august it about dries up (ground still slop) and stays that way.

Approx 25k gallons. 35' by 40' and I'd like around 3-4 ft deep in the center. My house well is less then 20 feet from the pond.

I am wondering if i could add a high flow pump to the well and just have it feed to the pond with a float switch...is this a silly idea? I am not keen on overtaxing my current pump (obviously only designed for a house's needs). Also don't want to add an insane number to my electric bill...

Lining it is not an option as there is a massive boulder in the center. I also have a large overflow pipe running from it to the woods (needed during spring).

In July I tried using the garden hose on it. 4 hours of running raised it 3 inches. 12 hours later it dropped 1 inch.

Reaction score
How is the rock stopping you? Can you not throw a liner over it? If not, can you rent a jackhammer? I don't see any way to keep it full otherwise, without adding considerable electrical expense. How big is it? Large tarps are also costly.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The rock is approx 6x5x6 dead center of the pond like an island.

Liner is still an option. You could cut a hole in the center of the liner and have it come up to the rock island. Without a liner, any water you put there will just soak into the ground and disappear.

liner.png

Reaction score
I was thinking the same as JB. From your description of the area, I dont see why it can be done. In fact, my opinion, you're lucky people pay ALOT of money to put a boulder in there

Reaction score
Jb's pic is an accurate rendering.

Hmmm...I had assumed cutting a hole as suggested would make the whole idea of a liner pointless? I guess a leaky liner is better then no liner?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Jb's pic is an accurate rendering.

Hmmm...I had assumed cutting a hole as suggested would make the whole idea of a liner pointless? I guess a leaky liner is better then no liner?

You can build up the land around the rock where the island would be, so its always above water, & then you have it so the liner goes back up to the surface, so the actual inner edges would be above the level of water just like the outer edges would be.

3d.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The rock is approx 6x5x6 dead center of the pond like an island. I expect another 1-2 ft buried. It looks nice...
I've seen a pond with a large tree root at its centre where it had been impossible to remove the roots so the Post office worker who owns the pond thought hey what the heck I cant shift it so I may as well plan around it making it the centre point of my pond and thats what he did .
The overall effect was very pleasing to the eye .
He did use a liner but had to allow extra for the hole so you'll need more than you think if your going to line the pond , personally I'd ask an expert in pond building try waterbug I know he builds them

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I do not know the land layout but you could easily move the rock with a machine, either roll it to one side put the liner then roll it back on to the liner then continue with the remaining liner or just have it moved and put back. I would put a few scrap pieces of liner under the rock to protect your pond liner.

JB's idea will work also, without it being a leaky liner as you said

Ask a Question