Sloped sides?

Reaction score
I'm about ready to put the shovel to the dirt but have a few questions. The pond is going to be 3 feet deep and about 12x17. Should the sides be straight or sloped ? I have read to put a low spot in the center for stuff to accumulate and make it easier to clean should this be done? Could a partial shelf be built, only a few feet long or would this cause a problem when installing the lining?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have slope sides and straight, some of it depends on the type of dirt you have. My straight side is almost all rocks, the sloped more dirt.
Some straight sides collapse. My pond in a arizona was straight sides no issues.

The only problem a shelf creates for a liner is shaping it over the shelf. If you have herons they will use the shelf to try and fish from.

I have a low spot that runs the length of the pond, all heading down to the deep end where most of the muck accumulates to be netted out.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
sloped is good...straight down has a higher likeliness of cave in (upper portion giving way). but too much of a slope will make it hard to get in and out of the pond. and its likely you will have to enter on occasion. i have a shelve for plants in mine... i'd like to remove it. because it developed a slope into the pond so, its hard getting in and out. cuz liners get slippery and its too wide to step past. and shelves just eat up possible water volume space. milk crates etc...make nice "tables to put plant pots on. and they give shelter to the smaller fish. especially fry.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
A note about built in shelves. If you dig them in make them slant to the edge of the pond just a bit. You may build up a bit of crud but it should help prevent you from loosing your footing getting in and out of the pond. I have cut steps in some ponds with a slight backslope. Works well.

Reaction score
HTH said:
A note about built in shelves. If you dig them in make them slant to the edge of the pond just a bit. You may build up a bit of crud but it should help prevent you from loosing your footing getting in and out of the pond. I have cut steps in some ponds with a slight backslope. Works well.
Thats good advice. I didn't give much regard to the grade of my shelves but now I see that they slope down towards the middle. I have at times been concerned that my potted plants will get bumped by a fish and slide off the shelf, into the deep end.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
MINE STARTED OFF SLOPED SLIGHTLY BACK TOWARDS THE WALL TOO... that was good for the first few years. evedntually tho....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I gave my sides a little bit of a slope. No shelves, but did make the "rock shelf" to stack rocks and hide the liner. And I also have a deeper area [3' x 3' x 4' deep] in the center. As well as a "stepped" area to make it easier to get in and out. The entire bottom [except for that deep spot] is sloped, but almost wishing I'd left it flat, as it's very hard to keep things from sliding. But the sloped bottom does help with debris collection, I will say that.

Good luck on your dig!

Reaction score
Trash cans and Tubberware as tanks could last a long time, or they could split wide open tomorrow. I've had a couple split. For the same price you can buy used plastic 55 (or less) drums made to hold water. Just depends on how lucky you feel.

Ask a Question