Sluggish koi but Shubunkins great

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Here is my situation.
I have 3 large butterfly koi approx14” that are like little submarines. They do not surface to feed. They do cruise around together about 2’ below the surface and follow the Shubunkins that share the pond. The Shubunkins are lively, feeding well and have been in the pond about 3 years. We’re feeding them pellets and sticks.
The Pond size is approx 15’ round and 6’deep in the centre. Water quality all good with pH 8.0. Nitrate, nitrite, ammonia all 0.
I replaced the UV lamp this year did 25% water changes twice about a month apart. It has 2 bags of barley, water lettuce and hyacinth floating to discourage algae.
Not sure about The koi and their isolationist policy as I’m used to having ravenous koi. Any insight will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Here is my situation.
I have 3 large butterfly koi approx14” that are like little submarines. They do not surface to feed. They do cruise around together about 2’ below the surface and follow the Shubunkins that share the pond. The Shubunkins are lively, feeding well and have been in the pond about 3 years. We’re feeding them pellets and sticks.
The Pond size is approx 15’ round and 6’deep in the centre. Water quality all good with pH 8.0. Nitrate, nitrite, ammonia all 0.
I replaced the UV lamp this year did 25% water changes twice about a month apart. It has 2 bags of barley, water lettuce and hyacinth floating to discourage algae.
Not sure about The koi and their isolationist policy as I’m used to having ravenous koi. Any insight will be appreciated.
The koi have been in the pond since late April. They were previously indoor aquarium raised. That were active for about a week then Started to shy away and not surface. Not sure they are eating enough?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well you can't force them to eat, so you have to allow nature to take it's course. I would guess they got spooked by something. The pond experience is new for them, so they are going to be very cautious. Rest assured that they will not starve themselves!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1594142757667.gif
@YingYang
For now all you can do is keep an eye on them and see if they come around to normal or start acting sickly.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

You say your pond is 6’ deep. You do mean 6 feet and not 6 inches? I know, dumb question, but sometimes we like to clarify. Six feet sounds almost swimming pool-ish. Do you know the total gallons?

Do you have plants or any “caves” (places where they can go to hide)? Sometimes they will hide out if they are frightened by something. I was always taught that if they have safe havens, it helps them feel more secure, thus more likely to interact.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Success! I think you’re right about some cover on the pond. The water plants filled in over the last couple weeks and now the koi are much more comfortable and active. I think they’re actually smiling for this picture.
B8D0F9EE-9160-40DD-A504-BFA3B2EB7C06.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and welcome! That’s a great pic. Koi can be very shy if something is scaring them. It’s interesting how different behavior can be between goldfish and Koi. In the spring my goldfish line up in a row to get sun. You would never see Koi just sitting on the top to get some rays!

L

Lin

I used to have Shubunkins and Koi and some of the Shubunkins were mean to the Koi. Finally, the Koi won them over with gentle kindness and all lived in harmony after a time of adjustment. It's something some people still have to learn;)

Ask a Question