small aeration system on the cheap

Reaction score
Country
United States
Howdy.... I just built a smallish frog pond for my garden. There are still aesthetic improvements to be made but before I get too involved with that I'm trying to come up with a cheap DIY way to aerate it. I'm guessing it's in the neighborhood of 500 gallons. It's too far from an electrical power source, but I have a 100 watt solar panel system (that needs a charge controller replaced) and I'm wondering if an inexpensive 12v auto air compressor type pump might be enough to utilize a single air stone. I'm sure they're not designed for continual use but as it would be under almost no load maybe it would suffice. If I already had the pump I'd just hook it up to 12v and check, but lacking one I didn't want to go buy it as I have no other needs for one. Has anyone tried this? I appreciate your input!

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 66

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1623341193378.gif
@blenderbender
Not sure what you can use. I need to add some kind of water movement to my new little frog pond also but fortunately I can run a short cord from my greenhouse when I get around to it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Is there a liner under there or your soil just holds that water? If you get enough sunlight they make cheap floating solar fountains that you could just drop in there. Just search on amazon for solar fountain pond. Wouldn't aerate as much as a real aerator but if you add enough plants you should be fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there a liner under there or your soil just holds that water? If you get enough sunlight they make cheap floating solar fountains that you could just drop in there. Just search on amazon for solar fountain pond. Wouldn't aerate as much as a real aerator but if you add enough plants you should be fine.
Thanks.... no liner, clay soil and I mixed some bentonite in before filling. It seem to be holding. I have the "cheapest" cheap solar pond fountain and it isn't worth the water it's floating on.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice frog pond! Welcome to the forum.

No clue on how a air pump would do.

I found this in a search

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice frog pond! Welcome to the forum.

No clue on how a air pump would do.

I found this in a search

Thanks! That is likely what I will try. It's won't cost much to throw it together!

Ask a Question