Small and yellow water hyacinth

Scubamike74

Scubamike74
Reaction score
I have a 700 gallon pond with 7 goldfish. My Water Lillie's are doing great but my hyacinth are not. They are yellowing and seem to be shrinking. I have tried placing them in a bucket of water/miracle grow and they started splitting into sister plants but have all turned yellow and reduced in size. They also seem to be browning and dying as well. My ph is 7.5. Water temp around 68F.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 443
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 778

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had to leave mine in water tank with miracle grow for a month and then they stated to grow but I had better luck with water lettuce .Maybe you should buy them instead they seem to grow better for me
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52168]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52125]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:47567]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:46351]

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! I assume, from your name, that you dive? Cool!

My pond was started last summer -- total newbie! I didn't know what water lettuce or w.hyacinth was even supposed to look like, but I put some of each in a tub with Miracle Grow as Sissy suggested, and the difference in the before & after was amazing!

Reaction score
Welcome:)

Regardless of what sellers say, I have the same issues with similar conditions here each year. I wont buy them until June. ONCE the water gets more into the 70s, they perked right up. IF you have the option, put them in a tote near a sunny window inside for another week or so ... leave one outside to watch for improvements ... also, snap off the dying leaves (if you want to call them leaves) ... you dont want them to polute your pond, as once a leaf starts to die, it isnt going to come back. They are a bit tempermental early in the season, but come mid season, you'll have happy plants multiplying.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
If you are holding them in a tote you may want to try DIY CO2 injection. I was trying to ovewinter them and it was the only thing that made them grow instead of shrink. You can make one mostly with junk.

Lots of info on the web much more complex then it needs to be.

Sugar water and yeast in a 2 liter pop bottle with a hose that leads to some sort of defuser in the water.

Defusser can be anything that lets the CO2 absorb into the water.

If you put the reactor bottlle above the water you don't need the check valve.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yellowing is usually due to a lack of iron. Try a fertilizer with iron in the ingredients.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Easier that way to find out what works and then you know if you have a chance with them .I have lots better luck with the lettuce .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The past three or four years have been bad for water lettuce around here. They look great for two weeks, and then some kind of mite or aphid turns them into a real mess! Anyone else have this problem?
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had aphids in one of my containers I store them in and just sprayed them with dish detergent and they went bye bye.I spray my roses with it too

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
We used to have horrid aphids. We made a tea from mint and thyme and sprayed the leaves down. Then washed the dead and dying aphids off with the garden hose.

Now we have praying mantis and the only place we see aphids is in the greenhouse.

Ask a Question