Small contemporary pond project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
New kid on the block here, with a little project to create a small contemporary pond.

Before I jump in feet first, I'd really like some feedback to enable me to do the right thing. First the dimensions: 2.5 mtrs(8ft) x 0.5mtr(20") x 0.5mtrs(20")
I think this works out about 800 litres of water.
I have power for a pump/filter, and maybe some lighting.
My start-up questions are:
What would you recommend as a lining?....Membrane and liner?
What 'All-in one' pump / filter would you recommend as the pond is fairly shallow.
What sort and how many fish could I sensibly keep?
Can I have plants in this size of pond?

I have attached images of my proposed pond, and am eager for your feedback so I complete this project in the right way.

Best Regards
Nick C

Attachments

• IMG_3938.JPG
    IMG_3938.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_3939.JPG
    IMG_3939.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 532

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and number one thing you need to think about is winter and freezing .There needs to be a hole in the ice or some type of heater for the fish to survive and also need to think about summer heat and keeping fish from cooking .Any sized pond can have plants .Mini cattails would be good .Not sure what you have available there in pumps maybe easier to google what is a good pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
any possibility you can turn that pond into a 24/7 freshwater pond? Freshwater in, overflow drained?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just a regular small pond pvc liner. You can buy at homedepot. Put some sand in the bottom of the basin, about 2" worth. Drop the liner in and and fold it at the corners and drape it over the edges, start filling it up. As you fill it up make sure you keep the folds down, once filled up the water will keep the folds down. Let it settle over night, to hide the liner, just put some header stones on top. You can put plants in any water body. I'd go with horse tail or miniature cattails for a more modern look. Throw a few water hiason and find something modern I could use for a falls. The falls would look good in a width a little more than half the width of your basin, wide spill way. For that little thing any submersible pmp will get the the job done, long as has a pre filter. I wouldn't go over 500 gallon per hour. As for fish, better stick with goldfish

Ask a Question