Small Koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Okay, this is directed at all you koi-addicts as I've been reading a lot of your threads and I think I might have caught Keith's disease (MAYBE!!) and am thinking of (PERHAPS) adding one or two koi to my gf pond. Now, I tend to see most pics/sales here on the forum of larger fish, in the +10" size. If you were to buy smaller versions, how likely is the pattern to change? That is, I doubt I'm going to pay for a large fish but I might be persuaded to look into a smaller version and if I see something I like, I don't want to be too surprised when it grows larger and suddenly changes to whatever. Or maybe, 'whaterver' will be 'better' or 'just as interesting' ??? So, those that have this addiction and have bought smaller koi, what are your experiences? I have seen the 'butterfly' variety and I would probably lean in that direction.

Now, see what you've all done?????:wideyed:

ha:wacky:

Michael

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lol you too?
It is hard to tell how a koi will change in time, but in my experience some are more prone to changes than others
my favorite koi (in my Avatar) didn't change one bit since he was a few inches long,and neither did the Matsuba that we bought with him, they just got larger!
My Kikosui kept its pattern but changed shade from bright orange to almost red and the white got whiter, it's overall a beautiful fish
I read that Kikokuryu change color and pattern several times before maturity, but being metallic, no matter what color it end up being, I'm willing to bet it'll always be a cool fish
Ogon are also metallic and would never turn ugly on you...just keep in mind that are all beautiful and you'll want to own one of each color
A Sanke is another story, because if they lose their red like mine is doing, they get ugly

Any koi I've seen comes in both standard and butterfly

I can't wait to see your first koi! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
You might consider starting with Petsmart koi since they are small and inexpensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You might consider starting with Petsmart koi since they are small and inexpensive.
Well, IF I go this route, there's only going to be ONE or MAYBE two; my pond isn't big enough and I know it, to handle what you've all started! Annnnd, IF I do get one, it's going to have to be unique ala the color/shape pattern (hence the butterfly shape/style, to differentiate it from the gf), so I know I'll have to probably pay more than I really want to. That's why I figure there'll be only one; I have enough fish already but watching your posts and the Buying Koi in Japan video started all this...grumble, mutter, spit...

I just know it'll have to be smaller and I don't want to end up with something a lot different than I first see it.

And probably you'll NOT see a first koi because I still have to reconcile the whole 'koi eat plants' idea; I have a lot of plants and I LIKE them in one piece! Doesn't mean I can't be 'prepared' by doing my research though, hey?

Michael

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
:ROFLMAO: Too funny!!

When I bought my koi, I had no idea how to judge a 'good' one. I bought mine from local pond stores, and they are just 'pond mutts'. They were only maybe 3" when I got them. Two of the three have kept their color and pattern. One has lost it's yellow but kept its black pattern. I'm glad I got them before reading how koi eat plants and get over 2 feet long because I probably wouldn't have bought them. However, my koi are 8 and 11 years old, are not over a foot long and do not eat any of my plants except the roots of the water hyacinths. They are fed once, maybe twice a day in the warmer months. I guess I am telling you all of this so that you are aware of a different scenario than what you might have read. Everyone's situation is different. I would say if you really want to try one, to go ahead and come over to the dark side. :) If the koi is too destructive or gets too big, you could always re-home it..... Or if you get too attached to it, build another pond!

This picture was taken last year. The two 8 year old koi are on the left. You can see they aren't much bigger than the goldfish. The white/yellow/black one is the one that lost it's yellow.
all (1).JPG

And here is a picture showing all three of the koi with the goldfish. The white one with the orange is 11 years old and maybe 12".
all for documentation (3).JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I bought mine from local pond stores, and they are just 'pond mutts'.
It is among the "Mutts" that sometime hides the truly unique fish! And really what is a mutt, if not an unrecognized new crossbreed?:D

Nice fish cas!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We've had the same experience - bought tiny koi (aka the cheapest ones!) and some stayed very true to color, some changed dramatically. And we have a couple of koi that have not gone beyond 12" either, while the others have gotten way bigger. I figure that's a genetic thing.

And as I've said before on so many threads - our koi do not bother our plants, other than eating the roots of the floating plants and keeping the parrot's feather trimmed up neatly. (And the goldfish in our patio pond do the same thing, so it's more of a fish thing than a koi thing.) They've never eaten or even nibbled the water lilies or any of the marginals. They poke around in them but they don't cause any damage. Honestly the frogs have plagued me more by uprooting marginal grasses that I was trying to get rooted. We had many long talks, but eventually they won. Our koi will tip over pots in the pond, but that's just to annoy me. But we all need a hobby, right?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Gemma. What I was looking for at the time was 'something other than orange'.
for contrast with Goldfish or cause you dislike orange?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Shame you did not live closer I have lots of 3 inch ones left .My uncle bert is the best .I have several black and white ones but they may or may not stay that color
101_0670.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I started with Petsmart koi. They are small (4-6") and inexpensive. Lots of different colors and styles. They are typically not going to be fish with "grow huge" potential and if you don't feed them large amounts of food they won't grow big. Koi keepers who want their fish to grow large choose fish that have been bred to grow huge and they feed them up to 3% of their body weight EACH DAY from late spring to early fall.

2016-10-22 23.26.19.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
..... Or if you get too attached to it, build another pond!

View attachment 105836

And here is a picture showing all three of the koi with the goldfish. The white one with the orange is 11 years old and maybe 12".
View attachment 105837

See? See what I mean??? You've already got me doing extra work and I don't even HAVE a koi! (yet!!)

Bad, Cas, you're very baaaaaaddddd....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
:ROFLMAO: Too funny!!

When I bought my koi, I had no idea how to judge a 'good' one. I bought mine from local pond stores, and they are just 'pond mutts'. They were only maybe 3" when I got them. Two of the three have kept their color and pattern. One has lost it's yellow but kept its black pattern. I'm glad I got them before reading how koi eat plants and get over 2 feet long because I probably wouldn't have bought them. However, my koi are 8 and 11 years old, are not over a foot long and do not eat any of my plants except the roots of the water hyacinths. They are fed once, maybe twice a day in the warmer months. I guess I am telling you all of this so that you are aware of a different scenario than what you might have read. Everyone's situation is different. I would say if you really want to try one, to go ahead and come over to the dark side. :) If the koi is too destructive or gets too big, you could always re-home it..... Or if you get too attached to it, build another pond!

This picture was taken last year. The two 8 year old koi are on the left. You can see they aren't much bigger than the goldfish. The white/yellow/black one is the one that lost it's yellow.
View attachment 105836

View attachment 105837
actually, Cas, I like the idea some koi might stay within 12" or so; would fit my pond a lot better! My pond is more long and lean than wide, and I always figured a full grown koi would look out of place within it. I already have few gf that are in the 12" range and they look fine. Now, to find that elusive 'stay small and not eat the lilies' koi...;)

Ask a Question