Small pond, big results

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I figured I'd share the above ground pond I just installed in my parents' backyard. It's only 160 gallons but it very much enhances the mood of the backyard.

It hosts three koi (there were 4, but one was eaten by a crane), a tropical lily, dwarf lily, lilly, water hyacinth, grasses, cannalily and other flowering plants, and as the days go by, more and more life such as butterflies, dragonflies and various pollen gathering insects, and even a lizard.

I've been keeping aquariums for nearly 20 years now, so this wasn't the hardest thing to do for me. My pump does 350gph, which was sufficient to clear an algae bloom in a little less than 3 days, once the bacteria were sufficiently established.

as you can see, everything is in a cycle of blooming. The dwarf lilly has a white flower, but it's not pictured here, as I didn't find time to photograph it when it did bloom.

Hope you guys enjoy the macro photography.

p1ia5.jpg

p2ef2.jpg

p3jl3.jpg

p4dg3.jpg

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Great photos!
With a small pond like this, you should be able to net it when you are not around to keep the birds from getting your Koi.

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, guys. I think I've solved the problem with predatory birds. Running dowels into the ground and stringing them with mono filament would prevent a bird from walking up to the pond, and there is not enough space left on the shallow shelf for one to wade or land. I've watched cats attempt to get at my fish, and they give up within seconds.

Once I've restored the water clarity, I'll post a shot of the whole setup.

Any advice on what small fish to keep with koi? I'd like something to eat the aphids after i knock them off my lilies and other plants and into the water. I live in Southern Cali, so we do get a variety of weather some winters are cold, some aren't. I probably should avoid guppies. What about mosquito fish? I think I can scoop them up from the local park pretty easily. Any other suggestions on small fish I can put with the koi would be much appreciated.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you are near Vista I know a guy that is trying to thin out his Paradise Fish. They are beautiful, lay eggs, will eat the aphids and were priced at 2 for $5.

I will never have mosquito fish again. BTW, the county will give you all you need free.

BTW did you use a tripod with your macro photo shots?

Reaction score
I'm about a good 70 miles from Vista. So, paradise fish huh? Would I need to overwinter them indoors in a tank? Why won't you have mosquito fish? As for the macro shots, no, I didn't use a tripod or support of any kind. Steady hands from years of marksmanship :goldfish:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
snaF i,m a good shot to ...but my pics are far from this stuff ....what is macro??????

Reaction score
Macro refers to macro lenses which allow getting very close to the subject matter for very high detail. and usually have a very short depth of field (only the immediate subject matter will be in focus).

In any case, my pond now has the brown sludge as a result of the mud floating around. I've picked up powdered bacteria to help with this problem. The instructions say that 1/4 cup of this stuff treats 1000 gallons. My pond is only 160 gallons, so what would you guys recommend for the treatment dosage?

The spoon is measured in 15 ml, one teaspoon and one tablespoon. I have no clue how to break this up for the correct dosage. Any help would be much appreciated.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If we knew the dry weight it and you had a scale capable of precise measurements this would be simple. The dry weight you need is 16% of 1/4 cup.

Failing that, lay out 1/4 cup on a table or other flat surface that is clean and make a long line using a credit card. DON'T TELL ME YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS...

Divide the long line into 10 equal parts then take 1 plus 60% of the next line and you will be very close.

Unless you were born yesterday, you will know how to do this.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
if you put in 2 tea spoons it would be close.....a table spoon would be a good dose......my camera doesn,t have that option.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I'm getting less than 1 level teaspoon in my calculations. I still think the tried and proven "line" method is the best and most accurate way to do this.

Ask a Question