Small Pond Filtration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

It has been a few years since having a pond and the youngest is showing an interest in fish keeping.
I can build a raised pond that would give us around 300-320 gallons in volume (keeping it manageable for him), I just need to ensure adequate filtration.

The local aquatics shop recommended an Oase Filtral 6000 All-In-One pump, filter & UVC..... personally I feel this isn't enough... or has tech come on that much?

I am thinking of utilising some of my old quarantine equipment, which on paper is more than capable of running this volume:

Variflow 10000 pond pump
Hozelock Bioforce 9000 Pressure Filter
Evolution Aqua 25w UV
Bakki Shower with around 35L of Alfagrog and Ceramic Media
Air Pump & Ceramic Disc.

The pump will run around 4000L/H on its lowest setting, so once head height etc is taken into account It should turn the pool over twice an hour.

I don't mind spending some money on new equipment if people have recommendations.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I think your equipment should work fairly well, but all of us have one common suggestion: a bog filter! basically a bio filter that you can put plants in. It is also known as an upflow wetland filter, many of us have them on our ponds. ( I don't personally, but I have built a pond for another person that has one, and I am working on one for myself right now )

Here is a 400 ish gallon pond with a bog filter I built last summer, seems pretty similar to what you are looking to do.

IMG_3317.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

the pond is a bit murky here because I couldn't wash the pea gravel very well, but the bog kept it crystal clear for the entire summer after this, and I am told it grew some delicious tomato's!

Ask a Question