Small pond losing a foot of water

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is summer and I know that the amount of water I am losing is not normal. I have tried to think of a reason on why my pond is losing a foot and a half of water one day and then some days not any at all. I did have some leaves blocking my pump at the bottom of my pond when I checked it out today (the water lose was today) I haven't ruled out water splashing out of the pond but I would think i would lose water everyday if that was the case?? Any help would be awesome and I'm also very new to ponds!

Reaction score
Country
United States
About 3ft x 2ft and 3ft deep

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 251
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 241
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I had a preformed pond that did something like that. Almost no loss one day and 6" on another. It turned out to be a crack that must have been sensitive to moisture in the soil or heat changes. I never did figure out why it was so variable. I finally let it go down until it didn't lose more and looked all the way around, just above the waterline. It was hard to see and only about 2 1/2" long.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a preformed pond that did something like that. Almost no loss one day and 6" on another. It turned out to be a crack that must have been sensitive to moisture in the soil or heat changes. I never did figure out why it was so variable. I finally let it go down until it didn't lose more and looked all the way around, just above the waterline. It was hard to see and only about 2 1/2" long.
Ok i will look into that thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
What has has your weather been like lately? Are you in a dry or a humid climate and do you have much wind?
I live in Kansas so humidity is pretty high but the weather is the same on the other days when I don't lose any water at all. It's been about three weeks since I've lost this much water. It only happens every couple of weeks, but sometimes it happens two days in a row when it does happen?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Sounds cracked. Preforms are not the best in my opinion but then again with my application they don't even make one big enough lol anyways I did have a problem with a fountain that was preform and it cracked about six times! until I finally decided to turn it into a tomato planter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It does sound like a crack. Maybe the ground swells and shrinks as it gets wet and then dries out, which pushes the crack together together (wet ground) or allows it to separate (dry ground). Just a wild guess though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
With the big amounts of rain that we have gotten in Kansas this month, it could easily be changes in the soil density due to dryness and saturation. That would be my first guess.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Not sure about your climate but, I would recommend you try and remedy the problem as soon as is feasible before the cold hits. I had to repair my underground water reserve last winter and due to it having to be below the frost line by design it was a nightmare to dig out and once the spring thaw came I had to re-seat the thing again :O Not sure if it will be any help but if you want I can make available my schematic library from the MS-ATR that has plans to build about 8 unique ponds from the liner method and ranging in size from 450 gallons up to the 12,000 gallon standard used at the turtle rescue now. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Let it drain till it stops. Somewhere in the waterline you'll probably find a leak. You can get patch kits for pre fabs. My patch lasted for the rest of the ponds life till I pulled it up and planted a huge liner pond there

Ask a Question