small pond, still need underlayment?

Reaction score
Hey guys

quick question, I'm installing a small pond using a flexible liner. it will be about 5'-6' long and 4' in the widest section, but pretty shallow because it will mainly be for plants. My question is should i run out and buy some pond underlayment or will i be ok with just using a layer of sand under it? there are no trees around (sadly i only have a small corner of yard to work with) and so far i havent hit any rocks or obstructions.

Reaction score
Even before you finish this pond, you will almost certainly be walking on the bottom. Go to a carpet store and ask if they have some scraps of carpet or carpet pad that would fit. They will probably take you to the dumpster and help you find something that fits. It won't cost anything, and you won't have to worry about whether you did it right.

Incidentally, I didn't know about underlayment when I built my little pond and didn't use it. It HAS worried me, and when I rebuild this winter to correct all my beginner's mistakes, I will most certainly put carpet under my liner.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
some people use old newspapers, card board, also I have seen where some use sand. If you have all your rocks covered up you might be ok.
I have always used carpet pad and carpet. The liner I use can be installed on raked dirt, but we have too many rocks.

Reaction score
I have used it all. Newspaper, cardboard, sand and carpet. I like the carpet the best. Dumpster dive at carpet stores. Free underlayment is great.

Reaction score
i used carpet...no matter the size of the pond if you are using liner.. better to be safe than sorry... use some type of underlayment, wheter its sand, carpet, cardboard...

Ask a Question