Small Pond Too Hot!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I have a small 20-gallon container pond growing lotus and I've been very concerned about the temperature being too high considering I'm trying to get a couple of minnows. During the day the temperature has been running to about 98 degrees Farenheight. I have the container pond lifted off of the concrete already for airflow and to get it off of the hot stone, I also installed a solar pump to keep the water moving. Do you guys have any tricks or ideas? I know I've got a really tiny container going here so It'll be tough to keep the temp down but I'm trying my best. Any tips help!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Why are you thinking about adding minnows? 20 gallons with a lotus is going to be tough to keep water in especially with those temps. I have a 20 gallon lotus pot as well as a 75 gallon preform with a lotus. Both have no room for fish. I do have tadpoles that keep the mosquitos under control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I was going to get minnows to control the mosquitos and bug larvae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm starting to think it won't be possible to get it down even through my efforts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There are ways you could do it, but it might be more work than it's worth. For example, pumping the water out of the pond, through a shaded area, and back into the pond could reduce the temperature some. It would also require you to increase the total water volume, which would make the temperature more stable.

You can buy aquarium coolers to keep down the temperature as well.

You could try pointing a fan at water's surface. You'd have to replace the water much more frequently from losing it to evaporation, but hose water is often cooler!

You could set up a timed drip line that will slowly add cold tap water throughout the day (just not so quickly that you have to worry about chlorine).

Is your planter a light, reflective color? Is everything inside it also a light color?

Once the lotus really takes off, it will create a lot of shade that will drop the water temperature, but it might cover up so much of the surface the red rosies wouldn't be able to get to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
It might be better to use mosquito dunks. With those temperatures, it would be difficult to keep fish alive.
The only reason I'm afraid to use the dunks is cause I catch my dog taking a sip of the water now and then. I don't want to put any harmful chemicals in there to hurt her. I'd rather put nothing at all if that's the case.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
There are ways you could do it, but it might be more work than it's worth. For example, pumping the water out of the pond, through a shaded area, and back into the pond could reduce the temperature some. It would also require you to increase the total water volume, which would make the temperature more stable.

You can buy aquarium coolers to keep down the temperature as well.

You could try pointing a fan at water's surface. You'd have to replace the water much more frequently from losing it to evaporation, but hose water is often cooler!

You could set up a timed drip line that will slowly add cold tap water throughout the day (just not so quickly that you have to worry about chlorine).

Is your planter a light, reflective color? Is everything inside it also a light color?

Once the lotus really takes off, it will create a lot of shade that will drop the water temperature, but it might cover up so much of the surface the red rosies wouldn't be able to get to it.
Wow, I didn't even think of all of these possibilities. I didn't even think about the color of my barrel attracting the sun. Right about now, I'm really wishing I went with the white one lol! I'll definitely take all of these options into consideration but realistically I'll probably have to wait it out until my leaves get bigger and make some more shade. Thank you so much for your patience to a new-b.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wow, I didn't even think of all of these possibilities. I didn't even think about the color of my barrel attracting the sun. Right about now, I'm really wishing I went with the white one lol! I'll definitely take all of these options into consideration but realistically I'll probably have to wait it out until my leaves get bigger and make some more shade. Thank you so much for your patience to a new-b.

Most of my tips come from indoor goldfish keepers who don't have air conditioning! XD They can be creative people.

Jeff G

A bird stopping by for a drink.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I control temperature by using a timer that only adds water from 4:30 am untl 7:30 AM when there is no sun and the water is cold.
I have a 1000 gallon pond that had a natural leak/evaporation rate of about 150 gallons per day. I use a misting nozzle attached to a dedicated hose that delivers a fine spray at the rate of 40 gallons per hour. the cold water is added slowly so the fish are not stressed.
You can work out a similar setup for your 20 gallon pond by making a small controlled leak such that you lose 2-3 gallons per day. I made nozzles by drilling small holes in used, brass .22 casings and pressing them into hose caps. The result was very stable and repeatable.
Also this will give you a 10% to 15% replacement rate which the fish will appreciate.
In the winter I add water from 1 pm to 4 pm while the hose is in the sun and warms the water before it is added to the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
i agree, the dunks and bits are safe for pets. you might also be able to tie the dunk to the pot to make sure your dog won't mess with it. Of course, one donut dunk is way more than you'd need for 20 gallons, but just something to think about.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Dogs can get heart worm from drinking mosquito infected water so I wouldn’t let the dog drink the water even if you use dunks. Dunks prevent the larvae from maturing to adults but not from being present in the water. Fish in large ponds eat the larvae but not in your small container that will be to unstable to support fish.

Ask a Question