Small pond - what size pump when you want a waterfall

Reaction score
Ok, the wife came home with a preformed 275 gallon pond. Not exactly what we had planned...

I going to run a small skippy out of a 5 gallon bucket. I want a waterfall. What gph pump should I get? I read for a six inch wide waterfall I should have at least 600 gph. But when is it too much for such a small pond? I would be turning over the pond twice an hour (not bad). But if I want to do like a 12" wide water fall. 1200 gph would turn over the pond 4 times an hour. The couple of fish in the pond might need help against this flow?

Will this overwhelm the filter? I suspect I'll need a bypass around the filter.

When is it too much?

I could go to a larger filter like a 55 gallon. Which would increase the volume of the pond. Or go to a RubberMaid 70 gallon.

It seems easier to figure out for larger ponds.

Thomas
Turtleman

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
you can still divert excess water over the water fall ,,,filter what you can ...and mix it at the waterfall....

Reaction score
Thanks, good idea. I think I go with a small waterfall like 6". That will look more in proportion to the pond.

Now I'm looking at the Laguna Powerjet 600 or 900. I like the fact they handle waste. It doesn't make sense for me to add a I'm just wondering if I bypass the filter that I'm not putting back a lot of garbage into the pond. I guess I could go with the 600 and run that thru the filter. I like the three year warranty and 67 watts for $99. If I need more water I could just add another pump and line and mix it in as you suggested.

Unfortunately the pond will sit under a pine tree. It only drops needles once a year and I'll just net the pond during that time.

Thomas
Turtleman

Ask a Question