small pressurerized filter or a small easy to hide filter for small pond.

Reaction score
I made a good skippy type filter for my porch box pond. but it really stands out like a sore thumb. this porch is right on the road in the park we live in. no real place to hide it.
so I am debating on making or buying a pressurized filter that can be stashed out of the way. The pond is only 160 gallons and the skippy filter is far larger then needed. I was thinking of using 4" or 6" pvc pipe with fittings to close off each end and add pipe fittings for the tubing I would use. the first would be about 30" long with scrubby type material in it and the second would have bio media like bioballs in it. I would plumb the first so I can change the waterflow to go backwards and flush it out.
or something like a Fish Mate Pressurized Bio Pond Filter I want something that will backwash.

Reaction score
well there are alot of different types of sizes of filters in the DIY tab.... you can also plant bushes around your filter....

Reaction score
here is a picture. I just had the filter by where the bottle was but that showed even more. the porch is 6' off the ground.
photo-3.jpg

Reaction score
What about using a decorative urn/pot instead? Turn your eyesore into a focal point...

My Home Depot has some rather nice rustic terracotta urns on sale for $20, they already have hole in the bottom and everything.

Reaction score
I have my pond right next to the entrance to my house, and to plan to build a good filter this winter when I remodel (and, of course, enlarge) the pond. So I have been thinking a lot about how to make it look good. Most likely, I will put my filter in a decorative container, as Laura suggested. A very big flowerpot could work and would look great with floating plants in the top. I've been eying a nice urn at Home Depot that probably holds about 20 gallons -- big enough for my little pond.

Another thing that might look nice in your location is to build a little "spring house" around your filter. The spring house was the farmers' outdoor refrigerator before they had electrical ones indoors. They dug out a spring, lined it with block or stone walls and covered with an insulated door. Then they built a little house around it for further insulation, I remember as a small child being enchanted by what looked like a playhouse with a pipe coming out of the side spilling water. Inside it was nice and cool, and when they lifted the door over the water chamber, there were containers of food and beverages sunk in the icy spring water. But they wouldn't let me play in there. :regular_waving_emot

A spring house could not only cover your filter and plumbing, but you could put a shelf over the filter and have a storage spot.

Another possibility for a decorative cover for your filter is a "wishing well."

When I think about it, you might be able to cover your filter with a bar-height table, put stools around it and enjoy some beverages while watching your fish. Have a brainstorming session with your family and you might come out with some fantastic solutions.

Reaction score
the thing about using another pot is the top of this is 34" off the deck to make it over the top of the pond. so anything that hides it needs to be taller. or if it is replaced as tall. so it really starts to stick up. Plus the filter does not get any of the fine stuff in the water so it is a bit cloudy from suspended crud.
But anything I build will start adding up in cost I have spent enough on the filters playing around with them.
so buying the laguna may cost less then the materials to hide it and it will take a lot less room too.
no room for chairs and it gets way to hot for sitting. I had to remove the branches overhanging it do my bug eater plants would get enough light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry but im a massive fan of the pressure filters they can be buried to the lid and push water up hill, I run 2 oase 1500, they have the built in foam comprising handle, so back flushing is so easy quick and clean plus the garden gets watered saving time and water so win win

Ask a Question