Small pump problems

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Attached is a photo of one of my water features which uses a very small pump. It frequently stops working, not that it doesn't actually run but it doesn't pump. Are there better pumps for a small birdbath like this?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3958.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3958.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 223
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
take it apart if you can and clean the motor with toothbrush and some water. also check lines for clogs

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Almost all these small fountain pumps come from China, and a high percentage of them are defective right out of the box. I run the pond department at a local garden center, and I've tossed as many of these imports as I've sold. Look for (North) American or European products. You get what you pay for.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haro Thank you that is good to know. Will be buying pump for fountain in future .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Pondmaster, a Nevada business, sells pumps that are apparently made in the USA, (Danner?) and Laguna has an excellent line of pumps (Max-Flo and Powerjet) made in Italy, but only from 600 gph up. OASE is a good European brand. I'm not that familiar with what is available in the USA. Laguna had (has?) a line of small pumps made in Italy, but replaced most of them with cheaper Chinese products. Nothing but problems!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I purchased a small 168GPH pump from Harbor Freight yesterday for my spitter fountain, and it worked just fine out of the box. It was only $9, so if it only lasts for a couple seasons, I'll be fine.

Ask a Question