Small Waterfall

Reaction score
I have two small ponds (stock tanks) near my front door. One is 35 gall the other is 110gall.

I have some plants and fish in the ponds. Currently a small pump in each is circulating the water. I would like to build a small waterfall of some sort to complete the look. I would also like to some how combine this with some sort of small bio filter. Like a shower tower.

Any suggestions? Keeping in mind we don't have a lot of great rocks here.

Reaction score
AHHHHHHHH!!!! GENUS!!! A WATERING CAN!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That will be perfect for the small pond. OMG! I LOVE YOU RIGHT NOW!!!!!! Off to the hardware store for a watering can! Fingers crossed they have a nice big one.

Now something for the 110 gall pond .........

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was thinking along the lines of the watering can -- that would look cool! Someone on here a while back used rectangular planters and stagger-stacked them for a trickle tower. It looked pretty good, was sized appropriately, and fit in with the decor. I'll bet, if you Google "small decorative trickle towers," you'll get lots of ideas -- when I do that, I will select "images," and only look at the pictures rather than the articles.

Reaction score
You could use a pretty flower pot with some type of filter media inside with the water spilling over the edges of the pot .You could also use a watering can with filter material inside and hang it over the tank

One more question: What type of filter media? I can add some of the quilt batting for the fine stuff, but what about biological? Any thoughts?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gravel .you should not need much .Bottle caps maybe ,JW tried bottle caps .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I want to try the watering can next spring and put a stock tank by my side door .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used a flower pot, just slightly tipped it, made a decent water fall.
waterfall.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I did something similar but with a plastic watering can. This is my quarantine tank. There are prettier ones you could use but I had this on hand. I had to cut the spout bigger so it did not overflow in the center.
July 8 2014 061.JPG

I filled it with those round plastic kitchen pot scrubbies.
July 8 2014 064.JPG

This one I just have a very small pump in an small nursery pot surrounded by lava rock. Old pump for air and movement. :)

Reaction score
AHHHHHHHH!!!! GENUS!!! A WATERING CAN!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That will be perfect for the small pond. OMG! I LOVE YOU RIGHT NOW!!!!!! Off to the hardware store for a watering can! Fingers crossed they have a nice big one.

Now something for the 110 gall pond .........
How about an old one from an antique or flea market?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a galvanized one and going to hang it off a board with a hook .All you need to keep the board upright is use to concrete blocks stacked on top of each other and put the board in and pour sand in the holes around the board .That should be enough to support the watering can

Ask a Question