Small worms in Pond, good or bad?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have a large number of small worms, mainly near the top of the Savio waterfall and in the skimmer. They are attached and thriving...what type of worm are they and can you advise what they indicate? I suspect my pond has a lot of organic matter. I want to make sure they're not an issue for the koi and goldfish cause I lost all my fish last year and was told it was most likely due to parasites like flukes. I am doing weekly vacuuming to remove as much algae and organics as possible that results in about a 10% per week water change.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6998.jpg
    IMG_6998.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 31

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1651791492045.gif
@bounty22
Looks like some kind of larvae but not sure what they will turn into. You might have to let us know!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No idea what they are, but am willing to bet that they are beneficial and not harmful to your fish. The best way to prevent disease and parasites is by having the best water quality possible. In most cases, when you see organisms like these, they are actually an indicator of a healthy bio system.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are not harmful to the pond or stream in any way. Those folks are black fly larvae and i bet your finding them more in the fast moving waters of the pond. i'd be willing to bet 90% of everyone with a pond has those right now in there pond

Ask a Question