SMARTPOND products from LOWES

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
If you are looking for pond pumps or filters, don't go to Lowes.
My 2 month old SMARTPOND 2,00 gph filter with UV has started to get distorted and will no longer sit flat on the ground. The filters are too fine, clog quickly and are a pain to remove, clean and replace. The pads are also NOT available from Lowes or Smartpond (They have not returned my calls or emails) The O-ring is problematic and the clips securing the top are cheap and flimsy.
I bought the mate to the filter as a pump. The 2,000 gph Smartpond pump. It is working well, but now that I am able to read the reviews online, apparently the pumps never last more than 14 months. Right out of warranty.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear this: Try this number, I know they were shut down due to Irma for a while, I think they are located close to you.
1-888-755-4497
Regarding the quality of their (smartpnd and totalpond) products it's meh and overpriced but does fill a niche; getting people involved in ponds buying off the shelf equipment from garden centers; maybe some will move on to more advanced pond keeping. I have their UV light w/o pump, it has lasted. I also have their in pond 3 in 1 filter with aeration. The wire to leads to the LEDs corroded through so 1.5 or however many volts are exposed to the water, (can water then get inside??? Yikes) and I am only using it to help aerate the new pond until the cycle kicks in. That one didn't last 2 years. I dread the thought of the big box stores "Walmarting" the pond industry turning everything into disposable junk. I have nothing against smartpond's business sense, just maybe recommend there is better quality for nearly the same price out there. I think Mom and Pop pond stores are going the way of Mom and Pop hardware stores, but not because of Lowes but online retailing.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I called the 1-888 number and after being on hold for over 20 minutes, I was disconnected........TWICE!
They also do not answer Emails.
The company is nothing more than a joke in my opinion. I wasn't even calling in to complain....I need to order parts to keep this crappy filter working.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you used a card to purchase return for money back, if cash and no receipt return for store credit. Get a laguna pressure filter or another good brand like it if you want to stay with that style for about the same price. We shouldn't have to be penalized because a retailer sells equipment that should last years but because of lack of quality last only months.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I bought the filter and pump at least a year ago, then never got around to building the new pond because of a bad back until recently.
Man, I just want to be able to order one coarse filter to ad to my existing one and delete, remove the fine filter sponge. The fine sponge gets packed and distorts the filter in about 48, 72 hours.
I think with this modification I can at least use it as is for a little while.
I will replace it eventually....
Maybe soon with a Laguna or Oase.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I've built a brick and mortar "tube" to house the filter.
The bottom bulges and it actually falls over if there is a thunderstorm.
Now it will remain upright.
Hopefully, my new filter will also fit in there. Or i'll have to demolish it.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I found filter foam from the Chinese company Jebao.
Jebao sells the same filter under its name on Ebay.
I think Smartpond may be out of business. If not, they should be.
I'm going to use 2 or 3 coarse pads instead of a medium or fine.
Hopefully it will not pack up so quickly. The fine pads are just way too fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought a Smartpond filter and pump on ebay in May. Pump stopped working has 5 year warranty, seller said to mail back pump and he would replace with a new one.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I bought a Smartpond filter and pump on ebay in May. Pump stopped working has 5 year warranty, seller said to mail back pump and he would replace with a new one.
That's nice of the seller.
Selling and replacing those products will soon make him/her broke!:LOL:
I've never seen a single story of a "Smartpond" pump lasting more than 14 months.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
lowes is great at returns .
Yeah. The thing is that I had purchased everything about a year before I started building the new pond and all receipts are gone.
Besides, It's all still working. Just not very well. I'm hoping that when I get the extra coarse pads the filter wont plug up so easily. And when the pump fails. I have NO DOUBT that it will....I'll buy a Laguna as a replacement.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
O.K Now, to help out anyone else stuck with one of these horrible products, I've done some research and these Chinese companies are selling this same filter and pump.
Since Smartpond's customer service, etc seems to be non existent, On Ebay, these companies are selling the exact same junk with their own names on them:
Smartpond
Jebao (the model 20 or 30)
Sunterra
Jecod
Total pond (this has not been proven to me)
They all seem to have the problematic O-rings, sealing clips, filter pads, etc in stock.
Good luck.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Here are the Jebao filter foams I ordered on Ebay.
$30
See how the blue, fine filter is as fine as a "car wash" sponge? It gets clogged in no time flat and then it's all over.
This is certainly made worse by my 2,000 gph pump. It's very powerful. It was recommended to me as a mate to the filter. In reality a 1,200 gph would be more like what I need for my 1,420 gallon pond.
Anyway. I'm going to install two coarse and one medium pad. Get rid of the fine pads and see how it goes.
I'll report later.
I also forgot to mention that I'm running 1.5 inch hoses.

Attachments

• 20171020_171554.jpg
    20171020_171554.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 329
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here are the Jebao filter foams I ordered on Ebay.
$30
See how the blue, fine filter is as fine as a "car wash" sponge? It gets clogged in no time flat and then it's all over.
This is certainly made worse by my 2,000 gph pump. It's very powerful. It was recommended to me as a mate to the filter. In reality a 1,200 gph would be more like what I need for my 1,420 gallon pond.
Anyway. I'm going to install two coarse and one medium pad. Get rid of the fine pads and see how it goes.
I'll report later.
I also forgot to mention that I'm running 1.5 inch hoses.
I had to replace the blue pad that came with my Elite skimmer, with a black coarse for the same reason

Ask a Question