smoothing the liner; "it would be helpful..."

Jerry In Maine

I'm watching you...
Reaction score
it would be very helpful if an experienced ponder would tell me something like

"jerry, you'll never get all the wrinkles out of the sides of your pond liner, especially if the shape of your pond isn't perfectly round. just do the best you can to smooth it as the pond fills, and it'll be just fine."

yep, it would be very helpful if someone with experience told me that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
very true never realized I would be making so many folds in one liner

Reaction score
I have some experience, hope it's enough...

jerry, you'll never get all the wrinkles out of the sides of your pond liner, especially if the shape of your pond isn't perfectly round. just do the best you can to smooth it as the pond fills, and it'll be just fine.

I know many people come here looking for an answer to a question they've already made their mind up on. Kind of a waste of everyone's time trying to guess what answer they want as confirmation. Thanks for providing the answer up front. Saves a lot of time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The folds, wrinkles look like rock after some algae/dirt settle on it. I love the look of our wrinkles.

CH03_2011_11_04_08_25_24.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
thanks for the reassurance, you folks have been a big help and are helping make this pond-thing fun (so far at least...)
:luxlove:

It should be fun, unless you are raising fish for show or sale, it should be fun. Mine is fun, I built it to be fun and easy to care for.

Jerry In Maine

I'm watching you...
Reaction score
i got the bottom flat as a pancake. the sides though are a bit wrinkly, sorta look like my mother-in-law's thighs look when she wears shorts in summer. i figure that once i add rocks, plants, etc. things will look fine (the pond that is, not sure what would help the mom-in-law).

do folks commonly put rocks, branches and things on the pond bottom to add realism?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh geeze we could get you in real trouble with the mom in law :toothy12:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nthing on the bottom to hard to net the gunk from it.ugly rocks where when how never saw one that was ugly

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
After some time you won't even see the wrinkles, on the pond that is. I have a few rocks on the bottom but only to keep my liner down. I dropped a strawberry pot in my pond and left it and the smaller fish like to swim through the holes and use the pot as a hiding place. I have driftwood around my pond but I never intentionally placed one in the bottom. I think it would be neat if you could find a piece that looks like an old stump and have it in the pond, would also give your fish a place to hide under.

P1030236.JPGP1030897.JPG

Reaction score
I don't think it's common, but I mortar rock over the liner. I also like adding a stump if one is handy. I prefer it to the look of bare liner.
stump_no_water.jpg

stump2.jpg

Ask a Question