addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While grooming the lilies I saw this water spider snacking on a dragon fly. Munching on its head.

IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
There is the picture I was looking for. Somehow I missed it a moment ago when on the forum. Poor dragon fly but spidey has to eat too!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Poor dragonfly! That's like my lizard pic!

Today we watched a cicada-killer wasp take on a cicada. Impressive! I only took video, so I'll see if I can put a frame or 2 to post later.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cicada-killer wasp, well, killing a cicada (they actually subdue them and leave them in the nest tunnel as food for when the babies hatch). They are huge! The cicada is the white-ish shape underneath the wasp.

image.jpeg

Crappy photo (you probably can't tell anything), but it's a frame from a video and at the time I took it (this afternoon), was afraid to get too close.... Have you ever seen a cicada-killer wasp? Those are mean looking critters!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have wasps that look like that, they kill a lot of grubs to stuff in their nests to feed the young. Have not seen one kill a cicadid, we have not had a hatching of them either.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have wasps that look like that, they kill a lot of grubs to stuff in their nests to feed the young. Have not seen one kill a cicadid, we have not had a hatching of them either.
It's odd.... I've seen maybe 1/2 dozen over the past 5 years. They're not swarming-type wasps and I don't think they're particularly dangerous [unless threatened]. Shortly after my first encounter, we discovered a "tunnel" in our front flower bed, and research led to discovering what the wasp was. Then, once, I heard a cicada "flying" across the yard -- looked, and it was a wasp transporting a cicada by air! This was the first time we saw one in the process of capturing its prey -- pretty cool! Here's a pic I found showing one relative to person's hand -- NOT mine, I might add!
image.jpeg

And now, @addy1 -- I didn't mean to steal your thread! -- those are fantastic pics! Did you watch the drama unfold?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I just spoke to a dragonfly at my pond and he said to let you know that his attorney will be contacting you :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: :D On a serious note though very cool image (y)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And now, @addy1 -- I didn't mean to steal your thread! -- those are fantastic pics! Did you watch the drama unfold?
No problem steal anytime you want to.

I didn't see it get caught, but did sit a bit and listen to the spider munch on its head. I tried to tape it, but I was hand holding a telephoto shot and it wiggled way to much

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
the cicada killers are actually hornets, the male is the larger and does not have a stinger. it seems our pond has attracted them as I had never seen them before we put the pond in. the hornets will show up buzzing the pond then a few days later they would start catching the cicadas and taking them to their nest
haven't seen any of the hornets yet this year but the cicadas are out now

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@AJ1500 Nope, they're actually wasps. Just like "cow killer ants" or Velvet ants aren't ants at all, but ARE wasps. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphecius_speciosus

It is strange how insects are often misidentified: At Boy Scout camp a few weeks ago I spent some time around the "nature" area where they were teaching all the nature-related merit badges. The instructor had a captured cicada and asked the scouts what it was. One boy said "cicada" and the instructor said no, that it was a locust...... Um, sorry but..... Yes, around here they are often referred to as locusts, but locusts are grasshoppers -- when conditions are ripe and they swarm [as in Biblical texts], for some reason the name changes from "grasshopper" to "locust." Go figure!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I went to a bee meeting, with a great speaker a biologist, he kept calling the bees ..........................animals! But his talk was wonderful
They are considered a super organism.

Ask a Question