Snail question...

Reaction score
Many times over this year it seems, I was going to buy some off of ebay, and for whatever reasons I never got around to it. Now it is so late in the season, figure I'll just wait til next year. If I am finding 45-50 snails (whatever kind these are) in the house (plus how ever many went down the drain), God only knows how many of these little guys must be outside. I doubt the big guys will get them all LOL.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Capewind; The only possible downside to snails in your fry tank is that SOME snails act as intermediate hosts for parasites that can harm your fish. While this is a possibility, so is winning the lottery.... personally I wouldn't worry about either one!
John

Reaction score
LOL... love the way you put that... the fry arent in sterile water, so if the snails have anything, it would likely be floating around in the water anyways... I havent added any new plants since about June, so whatever is out there, was out there when they were "conceived",,, Inside water evaporation equals, grabbed clean bucket, walk outside to pond and bring inside;-)

Maybe we'll TRY to breed some snails over the winter, I hear they are tasty with garlic and butter;-)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Please don't give my aggie and bert any ideas for there snail treats to be dipped in .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I have bunches of trapdoors, my kids leave them alone. All sizes from huge to tiny. That is what takes time when netting the bottom of the pond, sorting the muck for snails. I usually net out about 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket of muck, almost not worth it, but I like to remove lily debris and any leaves that did fall in the pond, in case it does ice over. Very few leaves fell in the pond, we didn't have much wind when they were dropping, they fell straight down.

I have not cleaned it this summer. Started to one time and there just was not enough stuff to bother with.

Started with two in the deck pond, pulled out around 30 and moved them down to the big pond, in case the small pond freezes solid, if it gets cold this year.

Reaction score
Eventually. we'll get some. Not sure how I will feel about killing some with the normal cleaning... felt awful about the poor little ones who went down the drain...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Eventually. we'll get some. Not sure how I will feel about killing some with the normal cleaning... felt awful about the poor little ones who went down the drain...

lol that is why I don't have a bottom drain, and when I clean the bottom I sort the stuff for critters.

Reaction score
well, I am going to hope baby trapdoor snails are much larger than these guys ... LOL.

Edit: I mean the babies LOL.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have found some the size of a pea, it is easy to tell when you feel one, feels totally different than a rock. Who knows how many get eaten by the fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
garlic is actually very good for fish it helps them fight off desease and helps them start digesting there food better in the spring

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Snails are not harmfull but can take over your tank very quickly.
The more food there is the more they produce so slow down the feeding.
Always feed what they will eat in a few minutes.

If all else fails and your tank water is warm like 70 to 80 D get a small Clown Louch fish they love snails.

Ruben M.

Ask a Question