Snail Question

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Didn't really know exactly where to post this question but this section seemed to be the most fitting...I have a fairly large pond. Approx 23'x18' and approx 3.5ft deep. My water is usually on the money. Crystal clear and never ever green. I use good bacteria religiously, algaecide, water conditioner and muck pellets. In the winter I also use bacteria from the Arctic that lives in freezing water and doesnt die off in water under 50. My filtration is good for about 10K gallons and my pond is just under 5K gallons. I have a bunch of hyacinths and pond lettuce floating to draw the nutrients from the water. All my fish survived outside during the brutal north Jersey winter so I believe I may be doing something right. My one neighbor lost ALL his fish and another neighbor lost some fish....My question is how much of an impact would putting snails in the pond make? How many of them would I need to make an impact on a pond of that size? Is it worth it? I want to get educated on the complete function of having snails in the first place. I spoke to the guy who cleans my pond every spring and he advised me against the snails. Im not sure if he told me that because it would make his job harder when cleaning or if he was being genuine...Any input is appreciated...thanks in advance

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have snails, trap door, rams horn, little ones, big ones, except for the trap doors they showed up either on plants or birds or whatever. I bought the trapdoors

As far as cleaning, if you put in snails, when he cleans your pond, does he vacuum, net or drain and refill? Snails would mean he would need to try and save them. I do not have anybody clean mine, never will.
Some people like snails in ponds, others don't. I watch them cleaning my camera lens, they do a great job munching on the algae. Do they make a difference? maybe maybe not. I see the paths they leave as they work the pond, so imho they do some good.

Reaction score
I have snails that came in with my plants. I think my fish may eat them in the pond (not sure, but I don't seem to have many in the actual pond), my filter is another story! UGH!!! THOUSANDS of baby snails and eggs - did I mention THOUSANDS!!!! Its so disgusting to clean.

Mine are just plain Jane snails, nothing fancy. If I could get them out, I would. I am not sure they do anything for my pond, except provide a snack to the fish.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I agree with Addy's answer. Some people like them, some don't. They DO help to break down plant bits and uneaten fish food, but whether they are of actual benefit to a pond has long been debated. To me, they are just one more component of a pond, and I welcome them along with all the other little critters that take up residence there.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have koi and they ate them all .That says it all .I watched them suck them right out of there shell .What a waste of good money .If the snails had stayed in the waterfall pond they would have been safe .But I read that algae chemicals should not be used with snails

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've read the same thing @sissy , many algaecide products cannot be used with snails. I don't use any products and I also don't have any snails. @Jersey_Marine , maybe check the label of the products you use?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I see the paths they leave as they work the pond, so imho they do some good.

I keep trying to convince mine to WORK FASTER! ;)

We added trap door snails and see them every now and again. I think you'd need to have a lot of snails to really make a difference. But they are fun to watch. If you have lots of time on your hands!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've read the same thing @sissy , many algaecide products cannot be used with snails. I don't use any products and I also don't have any snails. @Jersey_Marine , maybe check the label of the products you use?

Providing the feedback on this thread Ive decided against the snails...Id rather use my Algae chemicals that have the snails make a mess of my pond. My Koi are also about 9-10lbs and I can foresee them eating all the snails and leaving behind the shells to just make a mess

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have all those free little snails now and taddies are getting little legs and thinking some already left .Peewee and puddles were chasing a frog in the back yard .It was so darn funny to watch .2 little fat chihuahuas jumping every time the frog jumped .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Providing the feedback on this thread Ive decided against the snails...Id rather use my Algae chemicals that have the snails make a mess of my pond. My Koi are also about 9-10lbs and I can foresee them eating all the snails and leaving behind the shells to just make a mess

IMO, Algae chemicals are something better left alone. Not worth the risk of losing fish trying to clear green water. Adding lot's of floating aquatic plants will help soak up extra nutrients in the water and help clear the water.

As for snails I think they are an interesting critter to have in an aquarium or pond but I wouldn't rely on them to keep algae away.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like watching them clean my camera lens.
snail1.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't really think it's accurate to say you can choose either snails or algaecide. Snails are just one part of an eco-system. Do they eat algae and debris? Sure. But nature doesn't really plan for any one species to completely wipe anything out, so while the snails can live on the algae, a good share of the algae will survive. Otherwise what would the snails eat once it was gone? Nature intends for both to exist in harmony.

Chemical treatment on the other hand will wipe out algae - and lots of other things as well. I avoid chemicals as much as possible in my life, so I avoid them in my pond as well.

Ask a Question